It's raining Anglo's!

david robertson

Just at the moment, I can offer a choice of five high-quality Anglo's, as follows:

1. 40k Wheatstone Linota, C/G, ebony ends, SN 28227. This is one I restored about 3 years ago, and the owner has now decided, in his own words, that it has about 15 buttons too many for him! It is still in lovely, little-used condition, and a wonderful player. £4000.

2. 30k Wheatstone, C/G, rosewood ends, SN 50325. According to Robert Gaskin's research, this one was made around 1938. I find it hard to believe, though, because it looks, and plays, as if it left the Wheatstone factory last week. £2250.

3. 30k Ball Beavon, C/G, metal ends, SN 8912. Made by Crabb for Ball Beavon, this one is nearing completion - and judging by the way it played before I started work on it, it's going to be a cracker! £3750.

4. 38k Jeffries, Bb/F. Currently sitting on the "to-do" shelf, this one is just as we like to find them, needing only routine restoration, and with an excellent set of reeds. Guide Price £4500.

5. 30k Shakespeare (?), C/G, raised metal ends. Another one from the waiting room. It looks, internally, exactly like a Crabb or Jeffries. Very similar fretwork too, but the ends are slightly raised, which suggests Shakespeare. In any case, it's a quality instrument with a fine set of reeds. Guide price £3750.

For further details, contact me via my website (concertina-restoration.co.uk) or call me on 01603 702644.

• 2 weeks later...