3 Hours, A Stagi, And Mad For Trad

After watching "Master and Commander" (I think that was it) I became slave to my desire to play sea shanties, jigs, and reels on a concertina. I poked around the internet, found this website and posted some beginner questions. Then off to ebay where I landed a Stagi...and then the Mad For Trad tutorial CD.

Well...it all came in yesterday...I practiced 2 hours last night..and another hour today. So Stagi + MadForTrad + 3 hours + a mic + recording software = this:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album....=3240&alid=1252

I am dying to try The Concertina Jig this weekend...but think I need to first pay my dues learning the other airs and polkas that proceed it on the CD. What a fun instrument!

Unfortunately I cannot hear what you recorded. Although I have the latest version of the WIndows Mediaplayer there seems to be somthing missing in your sound-file  :(

I used Quick Time, and I could hear it, but not immediately.

The little marker that indicates where you are in the piece actually cycled 3 times, with no sound the first 2 times through, but the concertina audible on the 3rd time. This behavior was repeatable. It's also something I've never seen before.

Sorry about any technical difficulties. I am new at the recording thing as well as the concertina so it is entirely possible there are one or more technical difficulties impeding your ability to play the .mp3. On your PC there needs to be some associations set up between file types or file extensions and applications that play music such as iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc... so it is possible something is awry there. Or maybe the usually reliable (and inexpensive) NowhereRadio has an issue. Or maybe I made the .mp3 incorrectly. I've been doing this for a while with banjo .mp3s and thought I had my recording act together...maybe I messed up this time though.

I moved on to to another song in my Mad For Trad CDROM...The Britches Full of Stitches. To help me with my timing I used an acoustic guitar loop from Apple GarageBand. So this is a duet of me on concertina with Apple GarageBand on The Britches Full of Stitches. It is a slightly different URL which points to a different folder where I have organized my Apple GarageBand duets.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album....=3240&alid=1013

Hopefully this will work. Also...if it doesn't work, I am curious if it is just the one song...or all the songs on NowhereRadio that is the trouble.

Mike

Hopefully this will work.  Also...if it doesn't work, I am curious if it is just the one song...or all the songs on NowhereRadio that is the trouble.

Mike

Mike

This link works. The first still does not work for me. I see that the link goes to a file named antseang.asx. Looking at this file I see the following code:

<ASX VERSION="3.0">

<!-- If you are viewing this file, you are doing so without permission.  The content within these files and the server they are on is protected by copyright law. All access are logged. -->

<TITLE>An tSeanbhean Bhocht by Michael Foley</TITLE>
<COPYRIGHT>(c) 2001, NoWhere Radio (www.nowhereradio.com)</COPYRIGHT>

<ENTRY>
<TITLE>An tSeanbhean Bhocht</TITLE>
<AUTHOR>Michael Foley</AUTHOR>
<REF HREF="http://www.nowhereradio.com/cgi-bin/dl/cD9SSpvaBPPA/mfoley01612/antseang.mp3" />
</ENTRY>
</ASX>

When I enter the URL http://www.nowhereradio.com/cgi-bin/dl/cD9SSpvaBPPA/mfoley01612/antseang.mp3 in my browser, I am obliged to enter a user-name and password.

This all makes it impossible to link to your tunes from the Recorded Tunes Link Page

BTW: looking at the copyright line in the code above I see that NoWhere Radio claims the copyright.. Did you know that?? :unsure:

Hopefully this will work.  Also...if it doesn't work, I am curious if it is just the one song...or all the songs on NowhereRadio that is the trouble.

This link works. The first still does not work for me.

Interesting.

I'm getting the same behavior on both recordings, i.e., the "meter" on the Quick Time player indicates that it's going through the entire thing 3 times, but there's only sound the third time around.

Furthermore, my Quick Time player indicates that it's not an mp3 file, but an m3u file, whatever that is. :unsure:

After watching "Master and Commander"  (I think that was it) I became slave to my desire to play sea shanties, jigs, and reels on a concertina.  I poked around the internet, found this website and posted some beginner questions.  Then off to ebay where I landed a Stagi...and then the Mad For Trad tutorial CD.

Well...it all came in yesterday...I practiced 2 hours last night..and another hour today.  So Stagi + MadForTrad + 3 hours + a mic + recording software  = this:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album....=3240&alid=1252

I am dying to try The Concertina Jig this weekend...but think I need to first pay my dues learning the other airs and polkas that proceed it on the CD.  What a fun instrument!

Very nice considering you have been playing for all of a day :).

Hey, regarding jumping to jigs, we won't tell if you skip to the jigs.. but "Concertnia JJig"? Sure you don't mean Concertina Reel?

--

Bill

BTW: looking at the copyright line in the code above I see that NoWhere Radio claims the copyright.. Did you know that?? :unsure:

Is NoWhere Radio claiming the copyright to the MP3's, or to the HTML which lets us access them? To me it's not clear.

Jim

I think that the copyright cannot be about the "HTML" (in fact it is an ASX file), bacause this file is downloaded to (cached in) your computer anyway.

Yes - the first link was "dead" on the download button (the "down"-arrow).

What we are dealing with here is an MP3 file which is streamed from NoWhereRadio. A stream is not an audio file downloaded to your computer, but an audio file that you "point" to when you click. That makes sense, in an hour-long radio program.

On top of the (NoWhereRadio) page you can click "Change player", and select player (I chose the bottom player alternative (the one with iTunes and tons of players).

• When the small "play"-arrow is clicked, the tune appears in iTunes as a stream. Quality is low: 24 kBits/s, 16 kHz.

• When the larger "play"-arrow is clicked, the tune appears in iTunes as an stream. Quality is high: 192 kBits/s, 44.1 kHz.

• When the "down"-arrow is clicked, the tune appears as an mp3 file in a browser window (new or tabbed, depending).

The high-quality version appears in iTunes as having a certain duration, while the low-quality version says "continuous" - but both appear with the "radio station" symbol. Hmmm.

Here's the difference:

When the one with a stated duration ends, it triggers the next tune - just as if I was playing a normal playlist or CD.

When the continuous version end, it stops - it doesn't start the next tune.

Finally, the durations are weird, e.g., "Booth Shot Lincoln" says duration = 17.29 (min.sec) (!), but lasts only about 1.40.

An .M3U file is a playlist - it is basically a simple text listing, with pointers to e.g. MP3 files. If you have the statusfield switched ON in your browser, you will see "---.m3u" when you hover over the small arrow-symbols, but "---.mp3" whe hovering over the "down"-arrow. Try with the other of Mike's tunes. You can download the MP3 by right-clicking/ctrl-clicking (Mac) and do "Save linked file as..."

Right, guys - here ends Dr. Müller's audio lecture...

- and Mike - nothing beats enthusiasm!!! Keep up the good work! Great stuff after one week!

And I like your banjo - I consider it a virtue to be able to do slow frailing.

Henrik,

5-string frailer and EC player

Edited by Henrik Müller

Thanks for listening everybody!

Henrik...I'm glad you like my banjo. That one song you mention...that is a slow one...painfully slow as I relisten to it. Ouch. I have only been playing banjo 3 years...that must be from my early days. I've gotten a little faster...but speed is not my forte or a point of emphasis for me. I've started playing with a fiddler (http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3240&alid=964 )and he pushes me faster...but when I play by myself I keep a nice and relaxed pace. That's very interesting that you are a frailing banjo player too....if you have any recordings I'd enjoy listening.

Henrik...I'm glad you like my banjo.  That one song you mention...that is a slow one...painfully slow as I relisten to it.  Ouch.  I have only been playing banjo 3 years...that must be from my early days.  I've gotten a little faster...but speed is not my forte or a point of emphasis for me.  I've started playing with a fiddler (http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3240&alid=964 )and he pushes me faster...but when I play by myself I keep a nice and relaxed pace.  That's very interesting that you are a frailing banjo player too....if you have any recordings I'd enjoy listening.

I play that style of banjo too! (but I'm not yet any sort of concertina player... i'm hoping to get one and to start learning as soon as possible though) I've actually been wondering to myself about whether or not there is some weird sort of link between the two instruments because, as I realized just the other day, there seems to be a few people who play both of these... like Peggy Seeger, is it Terry Woods from the Pogues?, etc. and they are both sort of uncommon instruments after all.

Henrik...I'm glad you like my banjo.  That one song you mention...that is a slow one...painfully slow as I relisten to it.   Ouch.  I have only been playing banjo 3 years...that must be from my early days.  I've gotten a little faster...but speed is not my forte or a point of emphasis for me.  I've started playing with a fiddler (http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3240&alid=964 )and he pushes me faster...but when I play by myself I keep a nice and relaxed pace.  That's very interesting that you are a frailing banjo player too....if you have any recordings I'd enjoy listening.

I play that style of banjo too! (but I'm not yet any sort of concertina player... i'm hoping to get one and to start learning as soon as possible though) I've actually been wondering to myself about whether or not there is some weird sort of link between the two instruments because, as I realized just the other day, there seems to be a few people who play both of these... like Peggy Seeger, is it Terry Woods from the Pogues?, etc. and they are both sort of uncommon instruments after all.

Hi, Gretchen, and welcome to the forum!

You are right about Woods - and interesting that you should mention it, but there does seem to be some sort of link - I know of at least three people who play both.

Henrik

...there does  seem to be some sort of link - I know of at least three people who play both [banjo and concertina].

I know more than that who play both anglo and English.

Do you suppose there's some sort of link? :unsure:

Oh, yes - they've both got bellows, buttons and reeds :D

/Henrik

After watching "Master and Commander"  (I think that was it) I became slave to my desire to play sea shanties, jigs, and reels on a concertina.  I poked around the internet, found this website and posted some beginner questions.  Then off to ebay where I landed a Stagi...and then the Mad For Trad tutorial CD.

OK, so it is only this morning that I figure out the Michael 01612 is the same person I visited last night. Maybe I should sign myself with my old Mass. zip code:

Ken01453 (who is no relation to anyone by same name on Mike's recordings! When I get a faster connection than a pay phone I will try listening to them - I remember a few slip-up notes in there. _I_ didn't tell Mike I was a "great" player, that's his idea)