Carroll C#/G# Anglo concertina (small model)

richard

Hello folks

I have decided to downsize a bit and am offering this fantastic quick playing and rich sounding superb instrument. It is #131 that was made for me and delivered after a 3 year wait in 2013.

It is a 30 button Anglo concertina in the keys of C#/G# with amboyna ends and plain black 6 fold bellows.

The current Carroll Concertina website description:

Our Small instrument is 5 5/8" across the flats of the endplates and is available in either the Wheatstone or Art Deco endplate patterns.  The base price on our 30 button (plus air) Small instrument is US $6250.00.  Our small instrument plays a little faster than our standard model but also requires a little more bellows movement to achieve the same air pressure required to drive the reeds.  This does not mean that it is harder to play - it is actually easier to get the notes to sound, but it does run out of air quicker than our standard model.  It is ideal for single note, fast Irish music but is not the best choice if you need the instrument for significant accompaniment work. If you primarily play fast Irish music with the occasional chord here and there, and you don't have large hands, you will probably prefer this instrument over our Standard model.

I am asking $4,500.00 (obo) plus shipping

This includes a very sturdy standard style case (home made)

Carroll C#G# beeswing a hp.mp3

Carroll left side.jpg

Carroll right side.jpg

Carroll bellows.jpg

Edited by richard

• 2 weeks later...

„Available woods include:  Walnut Burl, Indian Rosewood (US residents only), Solid Black (we use a hard black laminate material), Amboyna Burl, straight grained Walnut and Macassar Ebony“

might be in the ends.. ?

(apparently it isn’t)

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
following post

Hi Doug

Someone may not pay more for even a 6 year old instrument.

But... I believe a 6 year old instrument is on its way to improving with time and being played. Rather than a car, for example, which is in its best condition when purchased new with 0 miles, and the value diminishes from that point.

And... I believe there is a value to getting an instrument (assuming you want it) without waiting approximately 12-15 months for the newly ordered one.

Richard

Edited by richard
  • Like 1

I'm in complete agreement with Richard. I have a Carroll also, in c/g. It has improved substantially across all of its range over the last ten years of being played. Sure, there are signs of it being used, but how many of you would turn down a vintage instrument that has improved over many years of frequent use? I personally think that my Carroll is worth more now than when I purchased it new. 

Over the years, it has been common for sellers of modern made instruments to market their instruments with a premium for not having to wait a certain number of years for delivery of a new concertina. BUT, that was when the Irish Tiger was roaring, demand was very high and the supply low. However, circumstances have changed dramatically. Today there are several builders filling the void for quality concertinas, builder backlogs are much shorter, and the demand has lessened significantly. Carroll Concertinas are now down to a backlog of just 12 months or a bit more.

Just try to sell a quality vintage instrument for $6,500 or more in today’s market and you will see clear evidence of lower demand or higher supply or both. The last factor in trying to earn a premium price is rarity or desireability. Demand has always been highest in anglos for C/G instruments while flat pitch or other tunings bring less money because of less demand. (Dipper instruments are probably an exception to all that I've outlined above but the relative rarity of his concertinas, his age, and his tremendous backlog mean that you can't order one realistically and expect to see it before he retires.)

So for all the reasons I've mentioned, I think Doug is right. It is highly unlikely that the seller will get his premium price although I wish him well with the sale.

Ross Schlabach

I personally think buying new is a much better option when prices are similar. The argument that an older instrument might be "better" when broken in has some value, but I bought a used concertina before that had lots of issues so the "safety" of buying new straight from the maker would trump anything else, but it's just my personal opinion. As always, the market will speak and have the last word.