West Clare Concertina Players

Hello

If you are intersted in photographs of West Clare concertina players the Tom Munnelly collection appears to be online at the National Folklore collection in UCD.

https://www.duchas.ie/en/cbeg/41339

Apologies if this has been flagged before.

Plenty of photographs of Geoff Woofe playing and also of Peter Laban (two musicians who frequent this site).

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that John. I had a look at it a few months ago, plenty of familiar faces and situations.  I remember turning up for the reunion of the surviving members of the Laictin Naofa, ( it was actually a talk, it was a bit of a surprise they all turned up and played too boot) and realising I hadn't brought a camera. Tom did, fortunately.  But that said, Tom was a man of many talents but photography was perhaps not one of them. He was in the right places and with the right people though and that makes the collection a valuable one.  

There were a few occasions too where I did bring the camera so I could turn the tables and  get a few snaps of Tom, here he is conducting  a public interview with another of the great West Clare characters, Marty Malley:

DSC-0016-small.jpg

Edited by Peter Laban

While on the topic of West Clare concertinaplayers (and this one may well deserve a thread of its own): later next  month a CD will be launched with a recording made during the late 1970s by Séamus MacMahúna of Paddy Murphy, Paddy Canny, Peter O'Loughlin with Geraldine Cotter on the piano. The launch will be at a concert with Geraldine joined by family members of the original players. One to watch out for, if you're into that sort of thing.

Edited by Peter Laban
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Peter Laban said:

While on the topic of West Clare concertinaplayers (and this one may well deserve a thread of its own): later next  month a CD will be launched with a recording made during the late 1970s by Séamus MacMahúna of Paddy Murphy, Paddy Canny, Peter O'Loughlin with Geraldine Cotter on the piano. The launch will be at a concert with Geraldine joined by family members of the original players. One to watch out for, if you're into that sort of thing.

Hmmmmm.  I can always take a  good dose of  Murphy, Canny and O'Loughlin +  Geraldine  is  always splendid  !!

Hmmmmm.  I can always take a  good dose of  Murphy, Canny and O'Loughlin +  Geraldine  is  always splendid  !!

Yes, looking forward to that. Mind you, the next generation isn't half bad either, Eimear Coughlan (Paddy Canny's grandaughter) is quite the musician.

Edited by Peter Laban

• 4 weeks later...

I'll bring up this thread, just to take the slight diversion I took it on and divert it a bit further.

The CD Friends of Note, a collection of archive recordings of Paddy Canny, Peter O'Loughlin and (concertina player) Paddy Murphy, with young Geraldine Cotter on the piano, was launched earlier tonight, followed by a big, and magnificent,  concert. Anyone interested in Clare music should get one. 

They're available here, for a tenner:  https://www.coisnahabhna.ie/shop/product/cd/401/

2UOTPZ8EVX_large.jpg

Edited by Peter Laban

They had a deal at the launch,tenner for one, three for 25. Only got the one though. ?

The launch concert was very enjoyable. Actually spotted you walk down O'Connell st just before it Steve (we were having a bit of  pre-concert something to eat).

Fo-N-DSC-3389-small.jpg

LtoR: Geraldine Cotter, Eamonn Cotter, Kieran Hanrahan, Eimear Coughlan, Maeve Donnelly, Francis Cunningham, Ronan Browne, Johnny Kelly, Cathy Potter and invisible in the back row on the right  were Gerald Coughlan, Nicky & Ann McAuliffe

Edited by Peter Laban

Thanks Peter for the info and the photo.

I'll be looking forward to hearing them playing when I get my copy of the CD.

Looking at the tracklist I wonder were they the popular tunes of the day or were they more unusual tunes.

Cheers

John

Looking at the tracklist I wonder were they the popular tunes of the day or were they more unusual tunes.

Hard to say isn't it? A good portion of those tunes will come up if you listen to recordings of the time and players of that era so I would venture they were popular. But then again, some would have been popular because these very  people played or recorded them. A bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Edited by Peter Laban

17 hours ago, Peter Laban said:

Hard to say isn't it? A good portion of those tunes will come up if you listen to recordings of the time and players of that era so I would venture they were popular. But then again, some would have been popular because these very  people played or recorded them. A bit of a chicken and egg situation.

Looking at the dates when this was recorded I was actually playing myself then.  It would be years though until I had delved enough into the music to appreciate the genius and musicality of Canny, Murphy and O'Loughlin.  

Well, same here. I was making a way in during the seventies without much of a clue and became more focused and serious once I started the pipes, or got the pipes, in 1979. The quality these gentlemen's music would probably have eluded me (Ronan Browne alludes to that sort of thing in his sleeve notes for the CD). I am sure I heard Paddy Murphy play during the  Willie weeks of the early eighties without understanding much of his music and that's probably only one of the players I regret not paying enough attention to when the opportunity was there. I can only be glad a few of that generation were left by the time I did start paying attention, or developed an ear and a degree of  appreciation for what I heard and perhaps some  understanding of what to listen for. 

Looking back though, there are a fair few tunes on this CD I knew as doing the rounds at the time.  With hindsight, listening to recordings from that time and being familiar with the repertoire of players of that time and place, it's probably safe to say this was a repertoire popular with that group with many tunes breaking out of that circle to become  overall classic tunes.

Over the past few weeks I have been hearing a fair bit of music, a lot of younger players with whole new repertoires of  tunes. I pick up the tunes that appeal to me, the ones that stick easily, but there's a lot of comfort in hearing 'the old tunes' played well and finding new corners in them when revisiting them.

• 3 weeks later...

I came across the following as a plug for The Rolling Wave on RTE radio this evening, not that it ever needs a plug:

Tonight at 9pm on The Rolling Wave we’ll be listening to the music of the late Kitty Hayes. We have an interview from the archives with Kitty and Josephine Marsh and we hear how Kitty began playing again after a 45 year break!

It will be available on their archive.

I also saw this lovely piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVHyBTPfVMY

Kevin

• Like 1