Sign in to follow this  
Robin Tims

Playing Position for Left Handed players

Posted (edited)

A Jeffries C/G  Anglo playing friend is left handed.

During a recent workshop in Ireland she was instructed to be sure and keep the left hand end firmly on her left knee, leaving the right hand free to operate without hindrance  the bellows and air button.

I guess this is what many of us do, but for her it is not instinctive and is slowing her previously good progress.

What do others do please ? Any ideas ? Thanks.

Rob

Edited by Robin Tims
typo

Posted (edited)

I balance right hand on right knee .Bob

Edited by Kelteglow

Do whatever  is  most comfortable  and  effective.  During the many years I lived in County Clare  I've  seen  all sorts of  positions  including  bending the bellows  over  the player's knee!

Posted (edited)

I agree, she should do what is most comfortable.  (although Geoff's mention of someone bending the bellows over their knee makes me cringe a little.)  The theory of keeping the right hand free to operate the bellows since it is also operating the air button seems reasonable at first glance, but I don't believe there is anything to it, just an earnestly believed justification of why it feels right for the teacher at the workshop.  I tend to keep my right hand on the right knee despite being right-handed.  Even though that means the left hand is controlling the bellows movement while the right controls the air button, it feels to me that keeping the right end stable actually helps with smooth operation of the air button, but that could just be me looking for justification.  I find that both my hands are connected to the same person.  Really, I simply find that keeping the left hand planted just feels awkward, whether I am using the air button or no.  Maybe my right arm was sore when I first was learning to play?   I also sometimes play with both hands up off my knees and free to move, such as when sitting too close to a table to allow the instrument near my lap, or when standing!

Edited by Tradewinds Ted

Thank you gentlemen for your helpful comments which I have duly passed on. We shall see.

Thanks and Best wishes

Rob

I'm left-handed and mostly play with my concertina lying symmetrically on both knees. If I had to choose one knee, I would definitely plant the concertina on my right one, since controlling the bellows is easier with my left hand.

There seem to be people seem to think there is a single right way, and that it just happens to be their way, and that they can teach it to you for a fee.

I personally prefer to sit, resting both ends of the box on my lap. However, on my lighter boxes, I sometimes find myself resting the middle of the bellows on one knee.  When I'm playing in a more relaxed manner, I sometimes find that I'm lifting one end of the box while supporting the other.  All these things work in the right context.

Thanks Tim and Mike, I have passed on your comments too.

There are some interesting views here on a TG4 programme but how many of the ladies are left handed is not mentioned:

https://tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid=6016581505001&teideal=Mn%C3%A1%20an%20Cheoil&series=Mn%C3%A1%20an%20Cheoil&dlft=5

(I have just posted this link on the Vids thread as well with a bit more info)

'best

Rob