I've been thoroughly enjoying a new album by Aoibheann and Pamela Queally. I first heard their lovely West Clare music on youtube a few years ago, and was excited to see a CD come out. Glad to say it lived up!

Nice concertina tone, haven't had a chance to work out if its an A/E or Bb/F Jeffries yet, but it sounds great. 

https://thequeallysisters.bandcamp.com/

Ooooh! Thanks for this! I love that they play lyrically and aren't "off to the races."

1 hour ago, Pgidley said:

haven't had a chance to work out if its an A/E or Bb/F Jeffries yet,

Most of their playing seems to be in flat keys, which might be easier on a Bb/F, but I suppose you could do it on an A/E.

I’ve always thought fiddle and concertina made a great combination, and this is further evidence.

2 hours ago, Halifax said:

Ooooh! Thanks for this! I love that they play lyrically and aren't "off to the races."

+1

4 hours ago, Pgidley said:

Nice concertina tone, haven't had a chance to work out if its an A/E or Bb/F Jeffries yet, but it sounds great. 

https://thequeallysisters.bandcamp.com/

Aiobheann said that she is playing a Bb/F Crabb. (I asked her). I plan to buy it ASAP. I listened to it on Bandcamp. Wonderful!

As a Crabb owner and player, that is awesome to hear. Now I even more desire a Bb/F! What a great tone, and great tune selections. 

Just now, Pgidley said:

As a Crabb owner and player, that is awesome to hear. Now I even more desire a Bb/F! What a great tone, and great tune selections. 

Actually I have a 20b Bb/F Crabb - it's a nice, albeit fairly simple instrument, but in need of some tlc regarding the air supply (I guess I would like to have the wood screws replaced with machine screws and end bolts). Ýou're playing a 30b (+) button C/G I guess?

Best wishes - 🐺

P.S.: I gladly repeat myself, the album has a fantastic musical touch, just as @Halifax has been saying!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

Actually I have a 20b Bb/F Crabb - it's a nice, albeit fairly simple instrument, but in need of some tlc regarding the air supply (I guess I would like to have the wood screws replaced with machine screws and end bolts). Ýou're playing a 30b (+) button C/G I guess?

Best wishes - 🐺

P.S.: I gladly repeat myself, the album has a fantastic musical touch, just as @Halifax has been saying!

Yes I have a lovely metal ended 30 button C/G Crabb, early in manufacture relative to most Crabbs and very responsive and with its own unique tone. My plan all along has been to sell it for a Bb/F Jeffries once my spot on the wait list of a contemporary maker comes up, however I'll be sad to let this one go when that time comes. 

• Like 1

OK, so how do you pronounce “Aiobheann” (or even “Queally,” for that matter)?

I read it more as Eve-een, but I've been wrong before - once!

• Like 1

Indeed, awesome to hear. Track 4 features some bellows shaking as a tremolo, very tasteful but way more than I would ever play... still she makes it work. 

The backup bosuiki and piano are both top notch.

This should help clear up  the name pronunciation and is a delightful watch as well. David.

Posted (edited)

They'll  be doing a CD launch on May 19 during the Tulla Trad festival at Cnoc na Ghaoite

Edited by Peter Laban
typo
  • Like 1

Oops! I stand corrected on the pronunciation of Aiobheann. 

I don't think you should,  you were correct.

On 4/10/2019 at 6:28 PM, kenneads said:

Aiobheann = Yvonne

On 5/2/2019 at 12:39 AM, kenneads said:

That’s how she pronounced it. I’m sorry I asked.