Tortoise Shell Aeola Wheatstone 51 key Concertina

Gloucesterman

Beautiful tortoise shell 51 key Wheatstone aeola for sale. Just overhauled by the Button Box. Comes with original case. Smooth action, in tune, concert pitch, 6 fold bellows very tight. Serial Number 33234. Many inside photos upon request. Located north of Boston. david at davidcoffin dot com Will donate an appropriate amount to concertina.net.

IMG_8534.jpg

IMG_8537.jpg

6 hours ago, Geoff Wooff said:

The question is,  is this actually  tortoise shell  ( or any other endangered species  material)  or  a celuloid  substitute  ?

Real tortoise shell (hornbill turtle) can not be exported under CITES.

Somewhere  on  these forums  there are  discussions about  Tortoise shell  ended  instruments, that the material used was  generally  either  some species  of animal horn  or  a plastic.  One can  tell  if  the material  is  animal  or  artificial  by  pressing a hot  wire  into  it and  smelling the   burning fumes.

Earlier  instruments are more likely  made  from  natural  animal  material  , perhaps  ?

On 4/7/2019 at 6:19 PM, SteveS said:

Real tortoise shell (hornbill turtle) can not be exported under CITES.

Does not the rule of pre dating a cut off point, maybe 1945 (I cannot remember) with appropriate documentation, meet the CITES Regulations?

Welcome to Concertina.Net David!  Beautiful concertina you have.  I think the real question is, are you THE David Coffin of "Roll the Old Chariot Along" (Drop of Nelson's Blood) Fame, of the Portsmouth Maritime Festival?  And again, Welcome!  

Don Smith

On 4/13/2019 at 3:01 PM, d.elliott said:

Does not the rule of pre dating a cut off point, maybe 1945 (I cannot remember) with appropriate documentation, meet the CITES Regulations?

I doubt it. Obviously any sale will have to include some creative work on both sides.

2 minutes ago, hielandman said:

Welcome to Concertina.Net David!  Beautiful concertina you have.  I think the real question is, are you THE David Coffin of "Roll the Old Chariot Along" (Drop of Nelson's Blood) Fame, of the Portsmouth Maritime Festival?  And again, Welcome!  

Don Smith

Hi Don. You’ve got me dead to rights. And thanks for the welcome.

David.

You're welcome David! You are a great singer and performer, and though I've never seen you personally, I'm a big fan because of the You Tube performance I mentioned from the 2010 PMF.  Great Work!  Good luck selling that concertina, someone on here will buy it, (not me, I'm an Anglo guy, and a 20 button Anglo guy at that!)  , but someone will, I'm sure!  Take care, and keep up the good work!  

Don

On 4/16/2019 at 3:41 PM, Gloucesterman said:

I doubt it. Obviously any sale will have to include some creative work on both sides.

The cutoff is for items 'worked' before 1947, so the current exemption may well apply. Individual countries can exceed CITES regulations in their own ways, though. The UK is about to introduce a total ivory ban with some very limited exceptions, for example; and my understanding is that the US already has a total ban on ivory.

So, assuming that this is genuine tortoise shell, but pre-1947, it should be exportable under CITES in the US and UK context. It might still be worth checking with the US Fish and Wildlife Service (or DEFRA in the UK) to be on the safe side.

It's worth remembering, though, that for some CITES-listed products, you just need an export permit, which requires some bureaucracy and a relatively small cost. So it's not a total impossibility. I'm fairly sure that tortoise shell is only allowed in "exceptional circumstances", though.

Edited by tealeaf

• 4 weeks later...

There seems to be an undercurrent of blaming Glocesterman for the fact it,s made of turtle shell.Back in the day we all used animal parts/products to make all sorts of things and still do. Turtle shell is not acceptable today, like elephant ivory. When the concertina was made it was acceptable. Now we all know better, so lets get over it and enjoy a lovely old instrument,made by very talented craftsmen.

• 1 month later...