New concertina makes odd sound on low notes

Hey I'm Alec. I have never used a forum before, so I hope I'm doing everything right. I am a complete beginner and I was wondering if someone can help me out please: I just bought a new concertina and it makes this strange vibrating noise when transitioning from pulling out to pushing in (or vise versa) while holding the same button. It is really only noticeable on the lowest notes. Is this normal? This is the first concertina that I have ever played. 

I attached a sound recording.

odd swan concertina noise .m4a

I don‘t seem to be able to open the sound file but would suspect that it‘s tired valves what you are hearing. Older valves tend to curl and then need some amount of time to fully close, and in the meantime they are co-vibrating with the resp. (opposite) reed. Would be easy to sort out then by simply replace these valves...

Best wishes - ?

Sounds pretty normal for low notes played slowly on a modern instrument with accordion reeds and plastic valves, it is the valve/valves slapping. If you play it in a tune with a bit of 'snap' it will be less noticeable. 

I wouldn't worry about it but if it was a real pain then I would replace the noisy valves.

Edited by Tiposx

If you take your finger off the button momentarily when you change directions, you should avoid this problem. It will also make your playing a bit “crisper”.

Steve

Edited by Lofty
  • Like 1

Reeds can be scraping the reedplate, usually accompanied by some metallic edge to the sound. Often disappears after some use as most reeds are clamped by a rivet and reset their position gradually over time. With large reeds i usually take them out, see if the reed moves freely enough, and if loose i center it, and hit the rivet hard with a hammer on an anvil.

Valve problems can sometimes be a flappery sound, or delayed start of it. Some times the glue used for the valve an turn loose or dried out if its hide glue, as often used with older leather valves. New 'cheap' instruments usually are put together by low payed factory workers, (China?), and often never checked properly.

I don't think I am considering a Swan concertina anymore!  I'll just hit the garage and estate sales!  My cheap 'beginner' was made in Italy at least.  If I get brave I will try to do a little maintenance. I did see a Hohner accordion today at an antique mall along the highway.  It looked like it came out of a barn!  Good for decor I guess.  $85.