Case for carrying 2 concertinas

Hi all,

i am looking for a good way to carry 2 concertina's to a session.  i've been looking at some of the large, padded camera bags and other back packs.

anyone have a good solution for this?

thanks,

bill

The camera bag is pretty standard. Assuming one can actually find a specialty camera shop anymore. I just returned from playing a festival this weekend. I have a double case made by Greg Jowaisas that I have owned for at least ten years. it fits in the overhead bin on all airplanes. I trust the camera bag idea, but prefer a hard case to protect my instruments. There are a number of case makers out there for the creation of a hard case.If you choose to have a hard case built, consider a small pocket to hold accessories. Mine holds phone chargers, 3 nested shot glasses, and a preamp for my microphones. With any case I suggest a tracker like Tile to always know where your instruments are, and I also keep a Humiditrak in my case, linked to an app on my phone. It tells me temperature and humidity in the case.

• Sad 1

But, Wolf, how would I carry the mandolin and guitar cases! I'm looking for the proper fittings to attach a shoulder strap to my strong, secure concertina case. 

When I consider all the abuse my various hard cases have absorbed over the decades, I put the convenience of a double-concertina soft case aside. 

I have a wonderful Sean Fallon two concertina case. He has retired but Frank Edgely took over Sean's concertina case business. Back in 2011 Frank said he initially was only going to make the single cases, but he may have changed his mind since then. You could check with him to see if he has expanded his offerings to once again offer two concertina cases. 

Ross Schlabach

Thanks everyone for responding.   some great ideas there.  i had not thought of bongo bag before.  i have an Edgley concertina  (which i love) and the Sean Fallon hard case.  i'll check with Frank E about a double case.

thanks,

billy

I made this as a double carry-on.  Thick leather and lots of padding.  I use it as a heavy duty gig-bag, but don't trust it to protect my instruments if it's not on my person.2128367510_Photoon2019-04-02at1_45PM.thumb.jpg.aa6c321f607b51fab27c6b2db56b50bb.jpg

Photo on 2019-04-02 at 1.43 PM.jpg

• Like 1

This is my solution - my Callas/Crabb Anglo and my Lachenal Crane/Triumph, each in its own (presumably) original case, but capable of being carried in one hand. I use a pair of webbing straps from an Army Surplus haversack. The width and the material make for a comfortable handle.

Cheers,

John

Double concertina case 1.jpg

Double concertina case 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Mike Franch said:

Maybe it's just a bit of scuffing on the top of an otherwise solid handle

Mike,

That's just what it is! The actual load-bearing component is a springy steel band, which has a leather cover for appearance and comfort.

Cheers,

John

• Like 1

Here's my solution.  The case is made by an Italian company called Melano which used to have a Dutch distributor (I think).  I've searched online but not found them still trading unfortunately.

I got it as a toolbox in a Norwegian yacht chandlers (sadly now closed) and with suitable foam padding, it holds two concertinas very nicely with space for a paperback and other small incidentals.  It's not light but it is robust (plywood covered with leather) and it's travelled with me on many flights in the overhead locker.

Alex West

IMG_4067.jpg

IMG_4068.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to a local camera shop which had a great selection of bags.  I laid the concertinas out on the counter and explained what I needed.  Attached is a photo of the Retrospective 30 bag with a standard size Anglo and a slightly oversize Jeffries.  The fit is snug but is not a strain and there is no extra wasted space.  The company is "ThinkTank".  This may not work for everyone, and buying in the shop cost nearly $200.  The case is heavy duty in all regards.  Hopefully this will classify as the "personal item" as far as the airlines are concerned.  (There is also a place for an iPad.) If anyone would like a few more photos, let me know.  You can probably get more info from an online camera store.

IMG_0117.jpg

Edited by Ed Ebel
unviewable photo...replacing

• 3 weeks later...

I have a case that is specifically made for two concertinas. It is the last double case I made. Altogether I made about  three dozen doubles and over 400 single cases. Many people referred to them as the "Fallon case".  I intended to keep this case for myself but I do not play much any more. I have had it for about eight years and never used it so it is really brand new.  It is padded and blocked and finished in crushed velvet like all the other cases I made. I am advertising this case on the Comhaltas (CCE) Journal at their convention and Fleadh which will be held in Parsippany on the 6th, 7th and 8th of June.  I am also advertising two of my concertinas - a 38 button Suttner and a 38 button Crabb. If the case does not sell at the convention I will offer it on this site.  I retired from making cases in 2011 after eleven years at it and made cases for uilleann pipes as well and one large one for a harp. Frank Edgley, who has always been a great friend, took over this business.