The Secret of Monkey Island

Timv

I'm apparently going through a pirate phase for a while now, and this is the result. It's the theme song from a video game Monkey Island and I finally got to the point where I feel comfortable with recording and sharing me playing this. However, there's still quite some room for improvement, and I'm constantly changing minor details while playing.

• Like 7

Nice, Tim! Robust and steady beat, and the melody comes across clear.

Only thing that comes to my mind is that the basses are sometimes uneven in attack, at places sound diffident, and at times it looks like you get into the yellow air supply area. One possible way around all the  issues would be to hit the bass notes sharper and shorter (think of the old red hot needle metaphor). Not that I could claim any superior ability for myself (by no means), it's just my impression as a seasoned listener.

But when it gets to that level of criticism, the implication is that it already is very good (it is imho). Thumbs up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RAc said:

Only thing that comes to my mind is that the basses are sometimes uneven in attack, at places sound diffident, and at times it looks like you get into the yellow air supply area. One possible way around all the  issues would be to hit the bass notes sharper and shorter (think of the old red hot needle metaphor). Not that I could claim any superior ability for myself (by no means), it's just my impression as a seasoned listener.

Thanks, this is really good advice. I try to do this as much as I can, but I am still getting familiar with bellows control. My previous concertina really did not have an option for this, as the full sound (high and low notes at the same time) could only be achieved at full volume. But I am slowly getting better with the new one.

I have not heard of the red hot needle metaphor, but I think I can see what you mean by it. Approach the bass note with vigor and it should sound jumpier and better. And as for the yellow air supply area, I try to pinpoint the perfect times to use the air button, and I am slowly making progress. But I guess this all comes with more practice.

Thank you all for the encouraging words!

There’s a few good versions on YouTube which you’ve probably already seen. I keep meaning to learn a version for myself but then I listen to people like you play it so well and I think you have it covered lol.

I've seen these, but they weren't exactly how I wanted to play it, so I changed it to my version.

I've been playing the piano accordion when I was very young, and then only rarely after that, and the Monkey Island theme is now one of only a few songs I can play on it. Since I now learned it (moreorless) smoothly on the concertina, it's safe to say that in my almost two years of playing I am finally better at the concertina than the accordion, which to me is a very nice thought :)

• 4 weeks later...

That's the second best version I've ever seen!

This has been one of my dream pieces for a long time, and I've been working through scoring my own version of this. Now I'm just going to be recreating yours! Do you have any of this scored out -- notation or tablature?

The one bit I do have satisfactorily is the introductory run of notes from the very beginning of the original version.

6 hours ago, tealeaf said:

That's the second best version I've ever seen!

This has been one of my dream pieces for a long time, and I've been working through scoring my own version of this. Now I'm just going to be recreating yours! Do you have any of this scored out -- notation or tablature?

The one bit I do have satisfactorily is the introductory run of notes from the very beginning of the original version.

Thanks, Tealeaf!

Unfortunately, I don't have have anything written down, I just play it from my head. I got the chords from this site: https://scummbar.com//resources/downloads/index.php?todo=Sheet_Music

After I got the chords, I fitted the melody to work with them.

I have so far avoided the intro part but I must add it some time. As I've said I keep finding parts that I can play in a better way, so the song keeps constantly changing.

Now I wonder what the best version you've seen was ?

Now I wonder what the best version you've seen was ?

It's a high compliment! There's a running joke in the Monkey Island series where Guybrush refers to things as the second <something>-est thing he's ever seen.

Edited by tealeaf
Missed quote from original post

12 hours ago, ritonmousquetaire said:

I really like your version! One question though; you chose to keep an "oom-pah" pattern in the bass whereas the original follows an "oom-oom-pah-pah" pattern - have you tried to play it that way also?

Thanks! I tried playing only the pah-pah part, but it seemed too quick to be combined with the melody. Although, it might be possible I gave up too early.

12 hours ago, tealeaf said:

It's a high compliment! There's a running joke in the Monkey Island series where Guybrush refers to things as the second <something>-est thing he's ever seen.

Ah, it seems it's been too long since I played the games :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I’m sure this is a long shot since this is an old post (and a big ask), but any chance you can share the music for the version you played? Just the individual notes written out for each side would be immensely helpful. Absolutely love how your version sounds, very new to the instrument and no way I can break down all the notes on my own at this point. 

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old post, but over a year ago I transcribed @Timv's playing, did a few tweaks of my own, and uploaded my score to MuseScore. But in the end I never got around to making a recording. Re-visited it again recently, did a few more tweaks, and got a recording of my own. @Smcd I know it's been over 2 years, but if you're still interested in the sheet music it is linked below.

Have a great day everyone!

The_Secret_of_Monkey_Island_Theme__Michael_Z._Land__Concertina.pdf

• Like 1