Wheatstone Linota sn#27957

blatherskite

Hi All,

I may have an opportunity to purchase this concertina, but I'm an English concertina player so I don't really know my way around Anglos.

I assume it's a Linota because it's stamped on the palm rests. SN appears to date it to the early 1920's.

I have not had it in my hands and this is the only photo I could get. It was restored not too many years ago by the Button Box.

The person selling it does not play at all, so I can't really ask them too many questions.

But from this picture, can anyone guess how many buttons total are on it? Are there the same number on both sides (except for the air valve?)

Is there anything short of getting it in my hands that might give me a clue about what key(s) this plays? What's the risk that it might not be in standard tuning?

Asking because I may purchase it sight unseen and am trying to gauge risk.

thanks for any clues you might have.

ed

wheatstone-anglo.jpeg

Hi Ken!

I'm doing well, how about you? I"m still playing English. Still in Indiana. I found and had restored a Lachenal that appears to be dated 1860's and it's now in great shape. Really enjoying it.

My brother actually located this Anglo and not knowing anything, asked me. I have to wait to see what my tax situation is and start major buttering up of my 'financial advisor', but I just think this might be a gem that should be the hands of someone who could actually play it.

I've tried to learn to play anglo, but between the English concertina and my B/C accordion, my spare brain cells are pretty well occupied.

What's up with you?

Ed

Ed,

I thought I'd edited this into my post above but maybe I didn't hit save: If you have a Lachenal you know about having the owner play the middle row buttons on press over the phone to see what major chord you get (C on a C/G).

I've been wasting my time learning uilleann pipes for a while, and last fall I smashed my left hand doing yard work and couldn't play anything for months; now getting back into it. When I'm in Indy on a Tuesday I always seem to go to the Golden Ace session (many old friends there) but will get up to yours one of these days.

Ken

22 hours ago, blatherskite said:

Is there anything short of getting it in my hands that might give me a clue about what key(s) this plays? What's the risk that it might not be in standard tuning?

I would guess from the size that it's a C/G, and since it was restored, the probability is pretty high that it's tuned to A440 with equal temperament... i.e., pretty standard.

But if it was restored by the Button Box, I would ask them.  I would expect that the details are in their records, hopefully cross-indexed by maker and serial number.

2 hours ago, Ken_Coles said:

When I'm in Indy on a Tuesday I always seem to go to the Golden Ace session (many old friends there) but will get up to yours one of these days.

Yeah, I've never been able to get the session moved off of Tuesday. It's too bad, I'd like to get to the Ace now and then as well.

Let me know when you're in town next, I'll see if I can skip down there, I'd like to see those folks as well.

If I happen to acquire this concertina I'll let you take it for a drive.

ed

BTW, I'd make fun of your attempt to learn the pipes, but then you'd just make fun of me attempting to learn the B/C box ?

• 3 months later...

I have to concertina mentioned in the photo in hand. It's owned by Lloyd LePlant from Minnesota. It's a renowned mandolin maker in his 90's now, and one of the nicest people you would ever meet. His mandolins are famous. I'm trying to help him out because my brother went up to see him, purchased a mandolin from Lloyd, and introduced him to me because I new more than he did about concertinas.

He purchased this some time ago, knowing nothing about it. As mentioned before, I play English, not Anglo. He had it restored in 1999 and then never touched it, because everyone up north plays Chemnitzer concertinas and he didn't really know much about them.

I can't yet get a read on the tuning, as one of the pins that holds a lever popped out of the wooden hole so that one stays on all the time. That makes it difficult for me to hear any other notes. It appears someone as at least once tried to re-glue that, but I"m hesitant to try since I don't actually own it.

update: I was able to get it working and it appears to be close to a normal Wheatstone C/G, with only a few odd notes.

The Linota reeds appear to be steel and sound is pretty loud. The buttons are not rivited to the arms, but the felt and pads are all like new.

Lloyd is just interested in finding someone who will play it, to get a fair price, and to be fair to whoever gets it.  I cannot say enough about the man, he's a fine gentleman, and I told him I would put the word out on the concertina streets and let him know what I find out. His wife just died last week, and he lost a brother, a son, and cousin in November, and with all that, will talk your ear off about music and anything else. He was so excited when I told him that Bill Crossland found the ledger sheet for it.

I would be interested if anyone could help me figure out how to value this, even in a ballpark sense. He's coy about what he paid for it, but he put $800 into the restoration, which seems about right considering how much was done. I went out on a limb and told him that I was pretty sure I could get him what he has in it, and maybe more, but I just don't know.

Edited by blatherskite

On 7/28/2019 at 12:48 PM, conzertino said:

A 30 key would be more desirable...

Why do you say that? Assuming it is in good playing condition, a Wheatstone 40-key anglo of this period should be a very fine instrument. It can do everything a 30-key anglo can and more besides (some really usful alternatives and reversals, etc). The difference in weight is slight and not normally a problem.

21 minutes ago, Steve_freereeder said:

Why do you say that?

I had asked myself the same question but recall to have heard or read such a statement quite frequently. I for my part would not agree, but at least regarding the Jeffries brand it's what the market (probably consisting mostly of ITM players or aspirants) will be "saying".

Best wishes - ?

14 hours ago, conzertino said:

There are players, who want the extra notes, but Irish players usually don't need them and rather have the lighter instrument.

I found it difficult to sell a 45-key Jeffries several years ago...

Yes - I thought that would be your reasoning, but I would point out that a 45-key Jeffries is definitely much heavier than a 40-key Wheatstone. And not all of us play Irish style.