30 key anglo guides and tutorials

I found it, i used a right click, the result wouldn't unzip, but using the download link on the dropbox page did the job .... sorry for all the fuss, Don. Thanks

PS as a beginner someone asked me what system is fitted to my Edgley C/G. Now i bought this recommended Gary Coover book, but my left accidental row seems rather different; on mine the top 2 buttons are C#/D# and the 2nd one one D#/C# (the book has A/G i think) ..... is that the Jeffries system then on mine?  Finding the notes for a simple D scale, let a lone A, drive me nuts being used to a onerow melodeon and english concertina.

Edited by fiddler2007
correction

3 hours ago, fiddler2007 said:

sorry for all the fuss, Don.

No problem.  It gives me an opportunity to advertise Alan's tutor along with David's transcriptions.

If you want to learn to play the Anglo concertina by ear in the English style then Alan's tutor is for you.  It consists of dozens of short audio clips of Alan playing carefully chosen example tunes along with audio explanations on what he is doing.  Reading music is definately not required, but David has transcribed the tunes into standard music notation and the zip file includes a pdf of his transcriptions.

The nearest thing to having one on one lessons with a master.  It is free to download, you do not have to have a dropbox account to download the files.

Don.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:10 PM, fiddler2007 said:

Now i bought this recommended Gary Coover book, but my left accidental row seems rather different; on mine the top 2 buttons are C#/D# and the 2nd one one D#/C# (the book has A/G i think) ..... is that the Jeffries system then on mine? 

The left side accidentals are identical for Wheatstone/Lachenal and Jeffries, but what you're describing sounds like the right side and if so it would definitely be a Jeffries system. More common for Irish music, but there's not much written with the Jeffries system in mind (other than Adrian Brown's excellent "Garden of Dainty Delights" but it's for advanced players).

Gary

Hello Gary, you're right about right ..... my right brain side must be still fighting to decide when to breath in or out too ...?

Now i am quite an experienced player as in by ear, improvisation and the lot. Especially on fiddle, also melodeon a bit.

Are there any anglo 'books' with practice tips how to learn to connect your brain to the awkward confusing note layout. F.i.: got a tip from Mike Rowbotham about getting used to Irish style by practicing the key of G alternating between the buttons b/c and d/e on the left side and c/b and e/d on the right hand to get the feel for decorating notes. For starters there must be some generalities how to get used and automate one's brain in playing the same notes, in or out, for easier &  less bellow/air button moving efforts. Right now i am trying to get used to the key of D (mine's a C/G as advised by many players).

I looked at Adrian's videos; nice music, probably a real nice bloke too, but the jerky playing is not really my intention. I sort of gave up on EC playing, as had one for 40 years, because of the close button positions for chording, and melody playing in C or G. I liked playing fiddle tunes and some times ragtimes in D an A on an EC however.

Edited by fiddler2007
added stuff