Next Step from a Stagi to an advanced instrument

Hi,

I want to take the next step and buy a new Anglo concertina. I'm playing a Stagi W 15 LN in G/D for couple of years now. Every time I attended a workshop the teacher told me that I am too good to play this instrument, because the response is too slow. But I like the sound of my Stagi. Yes, I like the sound, because it is a bit harsh and it fits to my music. I am playing a mixture of trad. Irish and also a lot of tunes humming out chords. The typical concertina sound is too soft and to shrill for me and too similar to a violin. I like the "distortion" of the Stagi. It feels like a rock organ (beside ITM I like 70th Rock and Punk, so I need this on my concertina too).

What I am looking for? A concertina...
...in G/D
...with a harsh sound
...quick response
...up to 4000 €
...a bit customisation if possible (drone, button layout)
...black design (rock 'n' roll!) and customisable bellow papers (if possible)

What do you think might match best to my search?
- Sevenmount Concertinas (I really like these instruments, but Ralf doesn't take new orders at the moment)
- Tedrow (as far as I have seen, this might be a good solution, but never played one)
- Marcus (the design is a bit too standard, but the rest might fit)
- Wolverton (heard some very nice sound samples)
- Morse
- Norman
- Edgley (I have heard that they sound like Suttner's and what I absolutely don't like is the sound of a Suttner - sorry for this, its my opinion and I don't want to offend someone (its like eating Brussels sprouts))
- Irish Concertina Company

Best,

Michael

I had a Tedrow in Bb/F which had a lovely growl, although I wouldn't call it harsh.  To my ear it was more accordion-like than the 2 other accordion reeded instruments I've owned (a G/D Morse and a C/G Edgley)  Bob Tedrow would certainly be the fellow to go to for a one-off with customization.  Mine was a reproduction of a rectangular Henry Harley c.1870 that I inherited, and Bob worked from measured drawings and photographs that I supplied.  He also equipped it with an air lever rather than a button.  His price was reasonable, and at the time there wasn't much of a wait.

It sounds like you will be very happy with a hybrid with accordion reeds.  Since these are the ones with the most growl INMHO. So you are looking for one with the best action. And, depending on how ambitious you are you might just want to cross over to the button accordion.  Initially it may seem like a strange move after you've worked hard on an instrument, but I know quite a few doublers, including the ever so versatile John Williams.  If you are looking for a power machine the button accordion may be your answer.  They are easier to find and are often less expensive.  And currently they come in a range of sizes and tonal variations as well as keys.  Just a thought.

Hi LateToTheGame, I understand your thoughts, but I will stay with my concertina ? Before I've started to play concertina, exactly this was what I was considering whether a button box would fit, but my main goal was to reduce the size of an instrument. I'm playing syntheziser too and a button box is too big for me.

Update to the manufactures after getting in touch with a couple of them...

- Sevenmount Concertinas: No new orders at the moment
- Tedrow: No new orders at the moment
- Marcus: No real customizations possible; 7-8 month delivery time
- Wolverton: Very nice sound and a very nice contact. 1 to 1,5 year delivery time at the moment
- Morse: Nice sound and nice contact. Some small customizations possible. Shortes delivery times at the moment, but import from US to Germany means high tax.
- Norman: Nearly everything is customizable (buttons and design) and the prices are fair. Very nice contact. Delivery time 1 to 1,5 years at the moment.
- Edgley: Not contacted yet, sound seems not the one, I am looking for.

- Irish Concertina Company: No G/D option.

- Holden: Customization possible; sound closer to Suttner than to Stagi. 2 years delivery time.

Edited by rainbowman

I'm surprised you haven't considered Alex Holden yet... he's an extremly talented craftsman, he'll do pretty much every customization you can think of, makes stunning concertinas old style new tech... plus, flying out to MAN from Germany to pick it up in Person is (perversly) cheaper than insured shipment (I know because I've been there). Only issue is his current order back log, you'll need to check with him.

• Like 1

Hi RAc,

Thanks for mentioning Alex Holden. I was on his website a few weeks ago and for me it seems so that he is still in a kind of prototyping phase, but this seems so that this isn't right any more. Unfortunately, I never heard one of his concertinas, but I will get in touch with him.

Updated some information from Marcus and Norman above. At the moment it seems so that Morse is the option to get a very good new instrument without a huge waiting time. And maybe for the future a Tedrow, Wolverton or Norman is the best option for an instrument with more customization.

As a very happy Morse G/D owner, I support that choice.  I have had mine for about three years, and it gets better and faster all the time!  It weighs less than any others, keeps its tune, and plays like a dream.

And, apparently, it can be loud, too!  I also have a Stagi 40 button G/D, which I will keep as a spare.  It got me going.

Good luck.

David

• Like 1

Hi Devils' Dream and kevodell, Morse has a dealer in UK, IRE and FR, but prices are nearly the same. Due to the fact that I want a bit customisation, I think I will order directly.

David, thanks for your feedback. Sounds good.

I can certainly endorse the quality of Wolverton Anglos and I am very pleased indeed with mine (which is a C/G with Air Lever).

When I purchased it 18 months ago delivery was only 8 weeks or so but not surprisingly demand has steadily built since then. Jake is an extremely responsive and helpful chap to deal with.

Very nice, beautifully made, instruments and worth the wait.

Good luck with your quest.

Rob

2 hours ago, Robin Tims said:

I can certainly endorse the quality of Wolverton Anglos and I am very pleased indeed with mine...

...Jake is an extremely responsive and helpful chap to deal with.

True!!!

I was able to get my hands on a couple of his hybrids for a few minutes a while back - very, very responsive indeed.

Rainbow: Sounds good.  I have been to Sutherland many times and they have a great shop.  Hand made.  They don't actually skin the goats, tho. Be sure to get TAM reeds, IMO. Also 31 button.  8 fold.  The TAM reeds improve response, especially for G/D.  This recommended to me from Steve Freereeder (she was spot on wth this).

Edited by Devils' Dream
sp
  • Like 1

Hi Devil, exactly my thoughts:

- G/D

- 31 buttons (first I thought a G drone would be nice, but after reading the discussion about "Drones" below I tend to a C/G button)

- TAM reeds (first I thought that TAM reeds would soften the tone like real concertina reeds, but this is not the case and they will bring exactly the speed of response I am looking for)

- 7 folds (currently I have 6 and in generell this is enough for me, but sometimes I need more air, so 7 would be good; 8 might have influence on the response again I think)

- black design

My mistake.  I meant 7 fold, which is what I did order. Not sure why I forgot. I liked the sound of dural reeds but the response of TAM is much better and they do sound more like "real" concertina reeds.  Especially on the D row.  The black is really nice, tho I went with the cherry after all.  I was going to get the black with green felt. Would that look cool or what?