William Summerscales - Concertina and Accordion Repairer

Alex West

I was recently "gifted" a 20 button rosewood ended Lachenal (No 38381) which is probably beyond repair. The interesting thing is that on both ends of the bellows are inscriptions from Wm Summerscales of Stuton via Leeds.  On one side, in glorious copperplate - it says that he "tuned and repaired with steel reeds, Dec 22nd 1886.  On the other it declares in pencil "Wm Summerscales, Sleeton tuner and repairer of Concertinas and Accordions"

The instrument itself doesn't have the traditional Lachenal "Steel Reeds" stamps on the handrest so I wonder iwhy he said that he repaired with steel reeds, if the instrument came fitted with brass reeds and he really replaced brass reeds with steel reeds?  Also the lever hoops are bent wire rather than the pierced brass which I'd expect from a fancy ended Lachenal

I haven't had a really good look yet to see if the reeds look non-standard Lachenal.  The reeds have light rust but the fretwrk is badly damaged and the action woodwork has woodworm so it's probably not a fixer-upper

Anyone else come across Mr Summerscales?

Alex West

30 minutes ago, Alex West said:

I wonder iwhy he said that he repaired with steel reeds, if the instrument came fitted with brass reeds and he really replaced brass reeds with steel reeds?

This was and still is my understanding... (had been a common practice with free reed instruments back then)