Jackie note layout/range differences

So everything I saw on the web said the range goes from G below middle C to the c 2 octaves above middle C.

I bought a used Jackie thinking that range would be fine for what I am playing. The used Jackie arrived today & needs the middle Bb reeds tweaked which I'll do tonight or tomorrow. 

The thing that puzzles me is that even though I have 30 buttons the range is smaller than what all the charts on the web show. It only goes from G below middle C to the A above the staff. I also noticed that there are both Ab & G# keys in the 2 higher octaves. 

Did the design change at some point? 

Can anyone shed light on why the note layout is different on mine?

Thank you,

Aldon Sanders

37 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

Hmm, well the note chart on their website seems to match what you were expecting: http://www.concertinaconnection.com/jackie layout.htm

But if you got it used, maybe one of the previous owners made some modifications? When you say there are two G#'s, is one of them where the high C "should" be?

No there are A flat buttons where you'd expect them to be and a G sharps in their expected location. This happens in the middle & high octaves - not the low octave.

Aldon

38 minutes ago, wunks said:

Would this perhaps be a baritone or "Jack" rather than a "Jackie" ?   Admittedly, I don't know what the note difference would be.

The Jack is exactly an octave lower than a Jackie so the button layouts should be the same.

Looking at the photo then maybe it is an early version.

Do the notes played (use a tuner) actually correspond to the same notes on a standard treble EC?

If they do then I guess it probably is an early version because I can't see Wim Wakker coming up with a non-standard EC layout.

It would be worth contacting Concertina Connection about your box.  They are usually pretty quick to answer their emails.

11 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

or a copy which a. doesn't match the CC layout but b. has their logo illicitly attached? ?

If the action looks like the one posted by Takayuki YAGI then it is not one of the Chinese concertinas with a fake badge on it.

Edited by Don Taylor

I emailed CC last night and had this response waiting in my inbox this morning:

Hi Aldon,

Back in 2002 we produced a few experimental models before settling on the current layout. You have a very early model...

Regards,
William
Concertina Connection Inc.
Wakker Concertinas

Mystery solved.

I'm glad it's not a fake. In a couple years it will be a 'rare early vintage classic'!

Thanks to all for your input.

10 minutes ago, Aldon Sanders said:
Mystery solved.

I'm glad it's not a fake. In a couple years it will be a 'rare early vintage classic'!

Yes indeed, but you can always trade it in sometime in the future for, say, a Concertina Connection Busker and Concertina Connection will allow the original full price of your instrument against its purchase.  You could ask William what the trade-in value would be.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 2:41 PM, Don Taylor said:

Yes indeed, but you can always trade it in sometime in the future for, say, a Concertina Connection Busker and Concertina Connection will allow the original full price of your instrument against its purchase.  You could ask William what the trade-in value would be.

Don, I think you have to buy it new to get the upgrade deal.

Mr. Wakker did offer a trade-up discount for this particular instrument, which I accepted  (2 days ago!).  

I thought the offer was very fair and appreciate that my odd situation was taken into account. 

I should have a new Busker in about 2 months from now.

Again, my situation had some very specific circumstances and Mr. Wakker would have been in the right to not accept it as a trade-in, but he did and that reflects well on both him and his company!

• Like 1