Indian concertina ?

fiddler2007

As the advert says  it is most likely  French. 

A name that has been  used for these early French accordions  is  'Flutina'.  There may be  several  different arrangements  of  keyboard and this one looks fairly simple, but others  that I have tried  worked  like a Melodeon  but  the    scale  starts  on a  pull  reed... so ,   in reverse to  the normal  diatonic  accordion  layout.

I guess that from some of the the angles shown, it looks quite a lot like the 'Indian concertina'

you are referring to, which I suppose is a Shruti box?

Here's Olivia Chaney using a Shruti box to accompany 'Aupres de ma blonde':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY2izR3fN_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evp-clThEaY

Edited by lachenal74693

I've seen these before, for auction online, and always wondered if they were played like the harmonium - with the keyboard across the lap (like Olivia is playing), or with the keyboard upright like accordion and melodeon.

Any scholars here have an explanation? 

Olivia Chaney is not playing a shruti box here but an Indian harmonium (which of course is more convenient to be held on the lap, or usually a desk resp. the floor. No need to hold it upright as it has no „left“ side...

A shruti box is considerably smaller and basically provides just the tones of an octave, not to be opened through keys or buttons but „static“ switches.

Best wishes - ?

I have access to one of these at a very reasonable price.  It looks to be in excellent condition except that it is missing one lever and pad on the left hand side ( there are 2 large holes within the rectangular grip, both of which have "action levers and pads in other examples ).  Would these be air valves or bass valves?

11 minutes ago, wunks said:

I have access to one of these at a very reasonable price.  It looks to be in excellent condition except that it is missing one lever and pad on the left hand side ( there are 2 large holes within the rectangular grip, both of which have "action levers and pads in other examples ).  Would these be air valves or bass valves?

might be for a drone, according to what I have read today

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

Olivia Chaney is not playing a shruti box here but an Indian harmonium...

Quite right! My excuse is that it was ~0500 and I hadn't had my first caffeine fix of the day,

and hadn't put my brains in yet!

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Haha 1