Fingertips

I am hoping it is normal to start to have some tenderness in your fingertips when you are playing more each day. My left index finger is the worst. It seems I am starting to form calluses. Is that typical or there something I should do differently?

It is quite normal to  feel tenderness when you  start to  use  parts of your body in a different way.  Finger tips will toughen up with  constant use.  Sounds like nothing to worry about, just practice  more moderately  for a while, not pushing yourself beyond the pain barrier.

Calluses are normal for fretted-string players, so I've never had a problem with concertinas! B)

(I started playing the mandolin  when I was about 6 years old, the banjo when I was 10, and only learnt the concertina later on.)

Cheers,

John

I don't play every day, but I do play often enough.  My fingertips still get a little tender if I've been playing for an hour or two.  Not unbearably tender, but I do notice them.

I recently picked up the guitar again after a long absence, and I've found that the inevitable development of hard skin on the finger tips costs me some sensitivty when playing the concertina.  Can others play strings and buttons interchangably? I'm wondering if I have to choose.  (OK - I'd choose concertina.)

2 hours ago, Mike in Oban said:

I recently picked up the guitar again after a long absence, and I've found that the inevitable development of hard skin on the finger tips costs me some sensitivty when playing the concertina.  Can others play strings and buttons interchangably? I'm wondering if I have to choose.  (OK - I'd choose concertina.)

I play both. Don't worry about the callous on the fingertips, it's not going to affect your concertina playing. The only incompatibility I found is that you do not want to play a concertina with guitarist's picking hand finger nails (a costly french polishing job will be the price).

• Haha 1

It may be that as a new player you are pressing the buttons too hard.  Remember that you only need to push a button hard enough to lift the valve.  Loudness comes from how hard you push or pull the bellows.  Practise tapping the button: tap and release, at least for the shorter notes.  I started from never having played ad practised for sometimes an hour a day and I have never had tenderness or callouses on my finger tips.

The more relaxed you are, and the lighter your touch, the better your playing will be.  You can add loudness later.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Ive been playing now for a grand total of 2 weeks working through easy anglo 123 and above touched a nerve in my practise tonight that i am pushing the belllows closed with my right hand fingertips. is this correct technique, the left hand is stationary on my knee? from what is said above it must not be as i wouldnt develop a light touch continuing this way. what is correct technique for bellows operation to get a light touch.

im loving the journey so far, learning little gems like the three g chords on the bottom row of the left hand in different “pitches” tonigt. not sureof the correct terms but im sure you get the jist

On 4/29/2019 at 1:43 PM, Nedly said:

i am pushing the belllows closed with my right hand fingertips. is this correct technique, the left hand is stationary on my knee? from what is said above it must not be as i wouldnt develop a light touch continuing this way. what is correct technique for bellows operation to get a light touch.

Hi, Nedly,

As you suspect, the fingertips are not for closing the bellows, only for pressing the buttons.

To get control of the bellows, adjust the hand-straps  such that, when you insert your hands in them and then arch the knuckles, the heel of the hand is pressing on the face of the concertina, and the back of the hand (close to the knuckles) is pressing against the strap.

The fingers and thumb should then be able to move independently, and any movement of the hands should be translated directly into bellows movement.

Cheers,

John