46 Button Maccann Identity

kenneads

Hello All,

I have a mystery Maccann without an identity. I previously posted this concertina under "general discussion" but with only a couple of photos. I did not own the instrument at the time and was a bit reluctant to open it up too much. Now it is mine and so the restoration begins.

I have attached some photos which may give some clues to its maker.

The only identifying marks are R and L on each end followed by the number 65. These numbers are  consistent throughout the instrument; on the underside of the fretwork, the reed pans and the action board. There is some handwriting in pencil as well but this only denotes which end the part belongs to.

The lever arms are riveted and are a round profile. I believe it is in old high pitch A=452 (or close to) according to my electronic tuner, but certainly needs tuning.

I have included pics of the case as well although this may not be the original case.

I am in Australia and only know a small part of its provenance. It came to me via the widow of its owner. It had previously been owned by her husband's father who may have brought it to Australia from New Zealand.

Any help would be really appreciated.

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

3 hours ago, malcolm clapp said:

Looks very Wheatstone to me. I can't recall seeing wooden-stemmed metal-capped buttons by any other maker from this period.

Had been my first thought as well based upon the overall-impression.

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
autocorrect re-corrected