Re-seating buttons on Renelli anglo

Hi, folks!  I'm about a month into playing concertinas, and I'm finding myself a bit out of my depth in trying to perform maintenance on a new purchase.  I bought a Renelli on the cheap, and it looked as though it needed an orthodontist more than anything.  The buttons have a lateral range of traverse that cause them to be uncomfortable / inconsistent to play.  Whatever material was originally used to seat the buttons on their levers (levers still work great) has deteriorated and is allowing them to slide freely. 

Part of the appeal of this particular instrument was that, for $30, I wasn't afraid to crack it open and mess around with it.  I'm leaning towards sections of a hand soap pump's tubing, but I'd love to hear any solutions that y'all may have encountered when affecting DIY repairs.

Hi, folks!  I'm about a month into playing concertinas, and I'm finding myself a bit out of my depth in trying to perform maintenance on a new purchase.  I bought a Renelli on the cheap, and it looked as though it needed an orthodontist more than anything.  The buttons themselves have a lateral traverse that cause them to be uncomfortable / inconsistent to play.  Whatever material was originally used to seat the buttons on their levers (levers still work great) has deteriorated and is allowing them to slide freely. 

Part of the appeal of this particular instrument was that, for $30, I wasn't afraid to crack it open and mess around with it.  I'm leaning towards mounting the buttons on small sections of a hand soap pump's tubing, but I'd love to hear any solutions that y'all may have experimented with when affecting DIY repairs.

Thanks very much, have a great week.

button teeth.jpg

buttons.jpg

levers.jpg

My local hobby shop sells the silicone tubing for $1.60 a foot.  I got 2 feet which was more than enough for 20 buttons. A foot probably would have been enough.  It was easy to cut and slide in place,  had a good spring and flex to it, and a bit of "tackiness" to help keep it positioned on the lever.

Edited by Bill N

• 6 months later...