Val Toad

I am considering selling my rare Wheatstone Aeola concertina but not sure of its current value. I know an identical one sold for £4000 about 10 years ago but haven't seen any sell since!  If anyone could help with a valuation I would be really grateful.  I bought it about 20 years ago but haven't played it much as its too heavy for me but its in concert pitch, in lovely condition with all keys working and bellows intact.  It has its original leather box (catch is broken).

Serial no. 31393 - model 15
Sixty two key baritone-treble made in 1927

Any help with working out what I can sell it for would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks, Val (in Shropshire, UK)

aeola side.jpg

aeola length.jpg

Aeola case.jpg

Hi Val, from the picks my guess would be it's 8 3/4 inches across the flats (otherwise, at 8 inches, I might have been tempted...).

I could well imagine aspiring fo a selling price in the region of 4.000 GBP would not be unreasonable.

Best wishes - ?

Oh, I wants it, but I can't have it.

The Button Box in the USA. currently have a 12E baritone treble Aeola for sale at $4800: 

www.buttonbox.com/concertinas-in-stock.html

You could talk to Chris Algar (Barleycorn) for a current evaluation.  He says that baritone ECs are always in high demand.

1 hour ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

Hi Val, from the picks my guess would be it's 8 3/4 inches across the flats (otherwise, at 8 inches, I might have been tempted...).

I could well imagine aspiring fo a selling price in the region of 4.000 GBP would not be unreasonable.

Best wishes - ?

Hi Wolf, The ledger states it as 81/2", so a little smaller but still not 8"...

It does look to be in lovely condition.   I am sure someone out there will be very happy with it.    I am no expert at all but in my opinion, around £4000 would be a good deal for both parties concerned.   

18 minutes ago, Rich C R said:

Hi Wolf, The ledger states it as 81/2", so a little smaller but still not 8"...

Thank you Rich, I should have looked myself... ?

I don‘t believe I could justify another acquisition at the moment, and apart from that I probably would prefer a more open layout for the fretwork - I seem to have fallen in love with Dick‘s 62b BT (which appears to be very much an „elder“ sibling of my own TT) I‘m afraid... ?

However this is a matter of personal taste, and many fellow concertinists will be inclined to go for the opposite... Good luck with the sale Val!

All the best - ?

9 minutes ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

Thank you Rich, I should have looked myself... ?

I don‘t believe I could justify another acquisition at the moment, and apart from that I probably would prefer a more open layout for the fretwork - I seem to have fallen in love with Dick‘s 62b BT (which appears to be very much an „elder“ sibling of my own TT) I‘m afraid... ?

However this is a matter of personal taste, and many fellow concertinists will be inclined to go for the opposite... Good luck with the sale Val!

All the best - ?

Thanks for your help!