First “Old Timey” Tune

mike_s

I’ve read several old threads as to whether it’s appropriate and whatnot to play old time American music on a C/G Anglo.  Apparently it’s OK but not the number 1 choice.  That being said for those who do play old timey, what would you recommend as an easy first tune to learn?  I worked on Angelina Baker (my go to on mandolin) yesterday, but wasn’t particularly happy with the result.  

Thanks, Mike

What key are you playing A.B. in?  I usually play it in D on the fiddle but it fits just as well in G.  I'm having a hard time with D tunes on my C centered duet.  Lots of "old timey" tunes are D,G or A probably because those are good keys for open string double stops.  How many notes are available on your anglo?  As for easy, I'd pick something less notey like Red Wing, Golden Slippers or Yellow Rose of Texas and if they're too difficult in G or D just play "em in C.    You could also try modal/minor stuff like Kitchen Girl, June Apple, or Cold Frosty Morning.  There are lots of march tempo tunes in C and waltzes and airs as well.  Another avenue is Melodeon influenced music that modulates between C and G.  A lot of Quebecois tunes are like this such as Pointe au Pic (sp),  and Mary Ann's Reel.  An advantage of learning everything in C and G is that when you acquire a D/A box you'll already Know the fingerings in those keys....?

Edited by wunks

I have a small repertoire of what I think of as old American tunes which I play on a 30 button in a harmonic style.

On a CG, I play Golden slippers in G.

On a CG, I play Old Log Cabin in C.

They both work very well.

Thanks for the ideas.  BTW, my Anglo is a 30 button.  I also noted that the version of Angeline the Baker I pulled out was in C.  I have always played it in D on mandolin and in jams, so I’ll try it in D.  I play some othe other suggested tunes in the keys indicated as well on mandolin too so these will get me a good start.

Thanks again,

Mike

Edited by mike_s
Typos

Mike, also check out Jody Kruskal's recordings and videos and posts here on cnet. He'll probably chime in to this thread at some point, and I can think of no one better to explain how to play old time tunes on concertina and especially how best to fit in with old timey jam sessions.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...