Lachenal Maccann New Model Duet Restoration

Alex West

I'm in the final stages of restoring a 62 key Lachenal New Model Duet no 755 - maybe from around 1890?  What's puzzling me at the moment is that this instrument doesn't seem to be laid out the same way as other 62 key Maccanns in that it has only 25 keys on the Left (not 28) but has 37 keys on the Right, and instead of having a range from A2 to A7, it goes from C3 all the way up to C7.  Lachenal catalogues of around the time seem to denote a 62 key instrument as a Baritone from Cello G or A upwards so this one seems to be somewhat higher (more like a tenor treble range?) and maybe a special of some kind.

It seems to have the same range as a "standard" 56 key Maccann but with more overlap between the Left and Right hand.

I'm not a Duet player so don't know if this would be normal - has anyone else come across this configuration and range before?

Alex West

I'm just learning about Maccanns but I know that the 57b (while only having two more buttons than my 55) allegedly has much more overlap and starts at C3 on the right, as opposed to G3 on my Lachenal 55b.  These are referencing the layouts in Robert Gaskins excellent book, "How to play chords on any Maccann".

Here is that link, in case you've not seen it ...

http://www.concertina.com/gaskins/chords/Gaskins-How-to-Play-Chords-on-Any-MacCann-Duet-Concertina-3.pdf

Perhaps your 62b was a special commission?  Dirge, any ideas?

Edited by saguaro_squeezer