Box to USA

Freddy

Freddy, it depends on value.  Watch out for declaring rosewood, ebony etc.  If you're shipping from UK to USA, use a courier such as transglobal express, since royal mail may not insure for a high enough value.  I've use UPS because you can trace it and call them when it hits our customs and pay the fees over the phone.   

Freddy,

I send a lot of stuff to the USA; here are the important bits:

You need to declare the classification of your instrument using the Harmonised Tariff Code, which for concertinas and accordions is:

You should put this on the Waybill and the Commercial Invoice you send with the package.

The US should not charge duty on concertinas, but that would be at the recipient's cost, not yours. I would NOT use Fedex; they sometimes try to charge import duty on duty free goods.  From the UK I normally use Rand Logistics to broker reliable services.

The CITES rules on exotic woods such as Rosewoods and Blackwood are ambiguous to say the least.  Old instruments are commonly ignored. Antique instruments (pre-1947) with Ivory parts (buttons/keys) should be exempt from interference, but I would be wary.

Send me a PM if you need more clarification.

Mike

I sent a Hohner melodeon from UK to Connecticut just a few weeks ago. This was my first export to the States, and I was a bit worried about the process but I took it on as a learning exercise. I dealt with Parcel2Go , but the parcel was picked up by a Royal Mail van. I understand that it was actually carried by Royal Mail. The postage cost including insurance was half the value of the melodeon! This was at the buyer's expense though.

I followed the carrier's instructions i.e. It had to go in a flight case, and I completed customs documentation quoting the relevant HTC code. It was completely straightforward.

It took only 4 days to deliver. The parcel spent three of those days in the UK. There were no problems, taxes or anything of note.

I should point out that some US Government services were closed down for political reasons. This may or may not have been relevant. It was delivered on the same day the 'plane landed, so I doubt very much that it was inspected.

Perhaps I was just lucky.

Regards

Tiposx

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 10:30 PM, Mike Hulme said:

Freddy,

I send a lot of stuff to the USA; here are the important bits:

You need to declare the classification of your instrument using the Harmonised Tariff Code, which for concertinas and accordions is:

You should put this on the Waybill and the Commercial Invoice you send with the package.

The US should not charge duty on concertinas, but that would be at the recipient's cost, not yours. I would NOT use Fedex; they sometimes try to charge import duty on duty free goods.  From the UK I normally use Rand Logistics to broker reliable services.

The CITES rules on exotic woods such as Rosewoods and Blackwood are ambiguous to say the least.  Old instruments are commonly ignored. Antique instruments (pre-1947) with Ivory parts (buttons/keys) should be exempt from interference, but I would be wary.

Send me a PM if you need more clarification.

Mike

I shipped Cajun melodeons, built in the USA any way, with a remark as such on the 'invoice' required and the labeling. Never a problem. If you book through a package broker usually UPS is cheaper, but IMO USPS is OK too, and fast to boot, chosen Economy Express i think. They're so big customs might not bother unless you mark it as explosives ... or if it smells of the type 'grass' sniffer dogs like.

• 2 weeks later...