Sign in to follow this  
Rich C R

What is the difference between a Model 16 and Model 28?

My 64 key EC Baritone Treble is a Model 28.   (serial 29447).   In the Wheatstone Production Ledger there are a number of 64 key instruments that are Model 16.   Can anyone tell me the difference between Models 28 and 16?

Edited by Rich C R

Must be a mistake IMO - a model 28 would have to be in hex shape, like 22, and 24; see here.

Yours should clearly be a model 16 Æola then...

Best wishes - 🐺

I think it is listed as a  model  20c  and not 28.    Now  I assume a  20c  is  a standard Baritone  with 64 keys.... it just looks like a 28.  

So, a mistake  in the ledger  but not  completely  wrong ?

Another question is raised; what is the difference between a Baritone-Treble model 14 and a Baritone model 20a?  Same range, same number of keys, same price

Alex West

2 hours ago, Geoff Wooff said:

I think it is listed as a  model  20c  and not 28.    Now  I assume a  20c  is  a standard Baritone  with 64 keys.... it just looks like a 28.  

So, a mistake  in the ledger  but not  completely  wrong ?

I have looked again and believe you are absolutely correct Geoff.  It is 20c and is noted as a Baritone Treble.    So now my question is what is the difference between a Model 20c and 16?   There are many more 64 key instruments listed as Model 16 than 20c.

Well Rich,

I  agree  there does not appear to be many  20c's  listed  but, as I recall , and it is a few years since I went looking for  this  info,  a good friend  has  a 64 key  Baritone Aeola  from  1924  and  it  was  listed as  a model 20c or  something like that.  The same range  as your Baritone Treble but the  lowest  G  is on the right hand side  and the normal  treble fingering comes out an octave lower.  

Perhaps it was only in the 1920's  that Wheatstone  were offering  64 Baritones  in there standard range... or perhaps they were always  'special' order  models... hence some confusion with the scribes  of the ledger ?

in fact in the 1919‘s price list there appears to be no 16 listed (but no 20c either)