Player identification suggestions

I was sent this picture by a friend who works at the Manx Musueum, and asked if I could identify the gentleman holding the concertina.  The photo was found at the tip and we have no other information about it other than the photographer was Midwood who had studio in Ramsey, Isle of Man in the later 1800's.  There is no clue as to why the photograph was taken, who the other people are, or why there is only one person with an instrument.  Is anyone able to suggest who it might be?  The instrument appears to have 8 fold bellows and straps.

Thanks,

Ian

IMG_5485.JPG

Edited by iradcliffe
spelling!

Hi John,

I think it is unlikely, there would have been choirs but I have no knowledge of them having a concertina for accompaniment. There was a small number of good amateur players appearing in the newspapers from the 1880's onwards, as soloist or accompanying a voice, for church concerts and the like. 

I think there is a passing resemblance to Professor Maccann, who appeared in variety shows 1890-1906 in Douglas, IoM, first with the Spence Lees Variety Company, and later with the impresario Harry Wood.  Does this sound a likely candidate, or does it sound like a wild guess?

Ian

On 2/20/2019 at 10:06 PM, iradcliffe said:

I think there is a passing resemblance to Professor Maccann, who appeared in variety shows 1890-1906 in Douglas, IoM, first with the Spence Lees Variety Company, and later with the impresario Harry Wood.  Does this sound a likely candidate, or does it sound like a wild guess?

Ian

Except the concertina shown looks like a 'cheap' German made model.