A tune what I wrote: Bright Winter's Morning

Mikefule

49 minutes ago, Mikefule said:

1) ...I was giving basic advice to someone who said that they had no idea how to play jigs...

2) The trick with playing for a Morris jig is to know the tune well, check how the dancer expects

the slows to sound, then watch the dancer carefully as you're playing.  A good jig dancer will

work with you.

1) That's me - guilty as charged m'lud ?... I now have a much better idea - thanks!

2) Ah! I also have a better understanding that the two are different - I'll be seeing the dancer at a session

in 1h25m and we can talk about it - thanks again. I will also try your tune (at least the first few bars) on

the  assembled multitude...

Edited by lachenal74693
  • Like 1

FWIW, The “R” field in the abc protocol allows abc software to make subtle genre-specific changes to the lengths and/or accents of notes (much more subtle than xxx -> x>xx) to make the playing sound more organic. A live musician might do this instinctively without realizing it. A machine needs to be told the genre, and then applies pre-programmed rules specific to that genre. Phil Taylor’s abc app, “BarFly,” which (sadly) no longer runs on modern Macs, implemented this quite nicely. I don’t know of any other abc app that does.

4 hours ago, David Barnert said:

FWIW, The “R” field in the abc protocol allows abc software to make subtle genre-specific changes to the lengths and/or accents of notes (much more subtle than xxx -> x>xx) to make the playing sound more organic. A live musician might do this instinctively without realizing it. A machine needs to be told the genre, and then applies pre-programmed rules specific to that genre. Phil Taylor’s abc app, “BarFly,” which (sadly) no longer runs on modern Macs, implemented this quite nicely. I don’t know of any other abc app that does.

Interesting and actually a pretty obvious and rewarding option - nevertheless I‘d never heard of it being implemented before (which however may be because I‘m using ABC only for writing and printing myself).

4 hours ago, David Barnert said:

EasyABC (actually abc2midi) has the capability based on Barfly.  You can turn the capability on and off in the menus. I may be able to find a link to details if someone really wants it...

Edited by cboody
Correction

4 hours ago, cboody said:

1) EasyABC (actually abc2midi) has the capability based on Barfly.  You can turn the capability on and off in the menus.

2) I may be able to find a link to details if someone really wants it...

1) Settings>ABC settings>abc2midi and tick the 'Barfly Mode' box

2) I really want it - now I have some inkling of what it is supposed to do.

Ta.