Lachenal MacCrane - was New Ends and Action - and change to Crane

Ever since my early Crane days, I've been searching for an 80 button Crane.  Of course, no luck.  But while at Kilve, Colin Dipper floated the idea of converting a Maccann to Crane.  I don't really want to convert my lovely big Crabb Maccann, but what about building a new set of ends with action that you could swap out with the Maccann ends?  You already have the reeds, reed pans, bellows, etc.  All you'd need is the action and ends.

Would any of the builders out there care to hazard a guess as to the cost?  I won't consider it in any way a quote ... just an idea to see if it's even feasable.

Edited by saguaro_squeezer

Good idea to convert by building new ends.

The original ends will need to be clamped up after swapping out for the Crane ends so as to prevent warping.  I guess a flat board into which suitable captive nuts, similar to those on the original 'tina, would do the job.

Edited by SteveS

I suspect it might not be feasible to build the action without rearranging the reed chambers so they are somewhat in line with the appropriate buttons. The Müllerization concept is possible because the new keyboard still follows the English pattern, it's just shifted and spaced out more.

Alex, I guess I thought ... and perhaps with quite a bit of naivete ... that since both were duets and had roughly the same placement and progression ascending the sale, that the reed chambers could stay as they were.  Otherwise, you would be truly changing the instrument.  Your point is well taken and I'll have a look at the reed placement.

I hadn't seen your Müller conversion ... that's very nicely done!

Rod, I have an 81 key Lachenal Maccann with damaged ebony ends that would make a donor for this project.  It’s an extended hexagon in shape and has good seven fold bellows, good reeds. If you are interested I can take photos.

A question came up, would I want metal or wood ends?  Setting aside weight, what does a metal-ended Lachenal sound like, compared to a wooden-ended one?  I don't know that comparing my wooden-ended Lachenal 48 with my metal-ended Connor or Crabbs is a fair comparison.  I could infer 'brighter' but that seems too obvious.

Any thoughts?

8 hours ago, saguaro_squeezer said:

A question came up, would I want metal or wood ends?  Setting aside weight, what does a metal-ended Lachenal sound like, compared to a wooden-ended one?  I don't know that comparing my wooden-ended Lachenal 48 with my metal-ended Connor or Crabbs is a fair comparison.  I could infer 'brighter' but that seems too obvious.

Any thoughts?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoyXbsmARiN/

9 minutes ago, RAc said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoyXbsmARiN/

Well remembered, I forgot I recorded a video of that experiment. The owner of the instrument did later tell me he thinks it has a slightly mellower tone with the new wooden ends (which in his case was what he was hoping to get). 

As a fellow Tucsonan, I would go for metal ends, or particularly plane  wooden ones. Our climate can cause havoc with finely cut wood, and I unfortunately know this by experience. BTW Where do you expect to have the ends made if you go that way?