My first composition! Dry Kindling for Doctor Mulligan

Podzol

After about a decade of enjoying such music on my English concertina, I finally decided to try my hand at composition. Thought I'd share. Hope you enjoy!

DryKindling - 2_6_19, 8.49 AM.m4aDry Kindling for Doctor Mulligan.pdf

X:1
T:Dry Kindling for Doctor Mulligan
C:Blake Ketchum
L:1/8
M:2/4
K:C
(3GAB||:c>B c>g|(3agf e>g|(3edc G>c|(3ABc (3def|
(3gfe a>f|(3gfe c>e|(3fed (3Bcd|1c2 (3GAB:||2c2g2|
||:(3efg (3c'bc'|(3d'bg (3d^cd|(3fef (3g^fg|(3def (3gab|
(3c'ge (3ceg|(3agf (3efg|(3edc (3Bcd|1c2g2:||2c4||

Edited by Podzol

Hi Blake, "sounds" nice from reading the dots; I particularly like the succession in bars 2 and 3 of the B section (using C sharp, then - surprisingly - F natural and finally F sharp, thereby creating a notable suspension whilst modulating to the dominant G maj).

I hope you don't mind my raising two questions:

1. As you have triplets nearly throughout the piece, have you considered writing (and playing!) it as a jig?

2. Nevertheless, the tune might benefit from occasional notes with the value doubled, particularly in the B section.

What do you think? Keep 'em coming in any event...!

Best wishes - ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

Hi Blake, "sounds" nice from reading the dots; I particularly like the succession in bars 2 and 3 of the B section (using C sharp, then - surprisingly - F natural and finally F sharp, thereby creating a notable suspension whilst modulating to the dominant G maj).

I hope you don't mind my raising two questions:

1. As you have triplets nearly throughout the piece, have you considered writing (and playing!) it as a jig?

2. Nevertheless, the tune might benefit from occasional notes with the value doubled, particularly in the B section.

Thank you, Wolf! These are great suggestions... I'll consider them as I make adjustments. I think you're absolutely right about it being more of a jig. I was pleased with those two bars in part B, as well. I wish I knew as much about music theory as you do! In time, if I keep at it, perhaps...

Edited by Podzol
  • Like 1

A little comment on the abc...

The way you’ve notated the repeats is not standard abc, and as a result, EasyABC plays it wrong. There should only be one vertical bar associated with the colon. Combining this with Wolf’s first suggestion (also shortening the last note by the length of the 3 upbeats and changing the last character to show a final double bar), I’ve put it all together as this:

M:6/8
GAB|:c2B c2g  |agf e2g  |edc G2c |ABc def |
     gfe a2f  |gfe c2e  |fed Bcd |1c3 GAB:|2c3g3|
   |:efg c'bc'|d'bg d^cd|fef g^fg|def gab |
     c'ge ceg |agf efg  |edc Bcd |1c3g3:  |2c3|]

EasyABC plays the repeats correctly now, and I’d bet this is the rhythm you actually had in mind.

Finally (sorry...), I find the 6th full measure to be weak. It’s harmonically static and the interval between the e and the c is unconvincing.

Consider replacing the c with a d:   |gfe d2e|

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 3:02 PM, Mikefule said:

I've transposed the tune to G so it fits my GD box.  Quite a tricky tune to play as it doesn't fit my English Morris dancer's preconceptions of where the phrases should end!

I'll work on it.

Hi Mikefule! Nice to run into you again! Hope you're well. :)

Edited by Podzol
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 8:41 PM, David Barnert said:

A little comment on the abc...

The way you’ve notated the repeats is not standard abc, and as a result, EasyABC plays it wrong. There should only be one vertical bar associated with the colon. Combining this with Wolf’s first suggestion (also shortening the last note by the length of the 3 upbeats and changing the last character to show a final double bar), I’ve put it all together as this:

EasyABC plays the repeats correctly now, and I’d bet this is the rhythm you actually had in mind.

Finally (sorry...), I find the 6th full measure to be weak. It’s harmonically static and the interval between the e and the c is unconvincing.

Consider replacing the c with a d:   |gfe d2e|

Thank you David for your observation. I entered the abc using the Craic app for ipad. I'll also have a listen to your suggested change. I appreciate that you took the time to play it and consider it so closely!

Blake

On 2/8/2019 at 1:41 AM, David Barnert said:

A little comment on the abc...I’ve put it all together as this:

I think I'm correct in saying that in order to get the repeat in the B music to play correctly, the last line should be:

c'ge ceg |agf efg  |edc Bcd |1c3g3  :|2c3|]

I couldn't get it to play correctly until I made that very small change. Maybe my copy of EasyABC has been corrupted

in some way - anything's possible...

Edited by lachenal74693

2 hours ago, lachenal74693 said:

I couldn't get it to play correctly until I made that very small change.

You’re right. Thanks. I added the spaces after the last time I listened to it, just for the aesthetics of making the bar lines line up vertically and didn’t notice that I had broken up a repeat sign.