Salvation Army Ab/Eb

oruairc

Unusual keys are not necessarily unusual if there is a brass band connection, as with Salvation Army.  Most brass band  instruments are pitched in Bflat, eg. cornets, baritones, euphonium,

which means they look at a written C, but actually play a Bflat.  A few instruments are. pitched in Eflat,  tenor horns, and some bases.  They look at a written C , and play Eflat.  (Forget trombones, they're a slippery lot!)  

It figures therefore that if playing from written brass band arrangements, which would have been quite common, you need some concertinas sounding Bflat and some in Eflat,  

Les Branchett  

2 hours ago, Takayuki YAGI said:

I also have Lachenal A flat/ E flat (but retuned to G/D) wood end model. It has additional metal parts with screw-hole under the LHS hand strap which accommodates band lyre.

AbEb_LHS.jpg.a852a84a2f250a328d168d53e32ecd1a.jpg

YAGI ?

Looks the same as mine, Takayuki. Do you know the serial number?

Jason ("oruairc"),

Your No.  162462 is easy to  date. I have a bill of sale for one less than 500 numbers later than yours--No. 162849 receipt dated 1898.

Takayuki,

Lachenal was building a lot of Anglos in the 1890s. Though your No 155862 was about 7000 less that the No. 162849, it was probably made only one year earlier, in 1897

In my data, your No 155862 is shown as 26 Key originally in Ab/Eb and retuned ot C/G; wood fretwork, bone buttons, brass reeds, and 5-fold bellows. I would appreciate knowing  if this description is correct.

A note on the  dating estimates that I provide: I usually say "circa" rather than a singe definite year. Today, you may have to wait months or years to acquire your new high quality concertina. But Lachenal had a little showroom with a Dutch Daly poster on the wall and an inventory of concertinas from which one or more could be putchased on a first visit.  So  the instrument may have laid a while in the showcase after being built a little earlier than the year shown on the sales receipt. Also note that it is imperative to eliminate sales receipt for purchases of used instruments.

44 minutes ago, Dowright said:

In my data, your No 155862 is shown as 26 Key originally in Ab/Eb and retuned ot C/G; wood fretwork, bone buttons, brass reeds, and 5-fold bellows. I would appreciate knowing  if this description is correct.

I checked inside again and realized that the number looked like 155262 rather than 155862 (please see the photo). It was 30 key in Ab/Eb retuned to G/D, wood fretwork, steel reeds, 6-fold replacement bellows. This concertina was also discussed here.

Sorry for the mistake. I hope this helps.

YAGI ?

sR0013732.jpg.435b72f43783c2e2002f3726edce8eb1.jpg

Edited by Takayuki YAGI
typo

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:07 AM, oruairc said:

Hi, any experts on Lachenal Salvation Army concertinas? Just acquired an A flat/ E flat 30 key, serial number on a slip of paper 162462. Would be grateful for any info.

These SA instruments weren't only supplied by Lachenal.

I have a 26-Button George Jones A♭/E♭ Salvation Army Anglo (Serial No. 25105). A Salvation
Army crest is stamped into the right hand end, and an SA 'logo' worked into the fretting on the

right hand end. There is a threaded hole on the left-hand end to receive a miniature 'lyre' (music

stand). Original tuning (A ≅ 445 Hz.).

(For comparison) the layout is like this:

3   2     1                        1   2    3
A/B F/E♭ E/F#                     A/B F/E♭ E/F#
  Left Hand       Accidentals       Right Hand    

5      4     3     2     1                           1    2      3       4    5
A♭/E♭ E♭/G A♭/B♭ C/C# E♭/F                       A♭/G  C/B♭ E♭/C#  A♭/F  C/G
         Left Hand                   A♭-Row                 Right Hand

5      4     3   2      1                            1     2     3       4    5
E♭/B♭ B♭/D E♭/F G/A♭ B♭/C                        E♭/D   G/F  B♭/A♭ E♭/C  G/D
         Left Hand                   E♭-Row               Right Hand

However, this is really to let you know that at least two Salvation Army tutors exist for their concertinas.

The first is available on't'internet - it may be useful?

These are:
Herbert H. Booth, Instructions for the Salvation Army
Concertina, Salvation Army Book Store, 1888.
( http://www.concertina.com/anglo/index.htm ).
The Salvation Army Anglo-German and English Concertina
Tutor, Salvation Army Publishing Offices, c. 1905.

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693