soloduet

Name of this tune from the Hebrides?

I have found this tune on Youtube played by belgium folk band Trio Trad (first video), which gave me the idea to play it on the concertina (second video), but does somebody know its name? 

• Like 1

Afraid I cant help with the name of the tune but I did enjoy listening to it.  

Thank you very much Saguaro and Rich! It seems that it's difficult to find the name of this tune, but Rich, as you are living in Scotland, if you happen to meet some musicians from the Hebrides, please let me know if they have a clue.

Didie

Didie

Obviously you really want to name this tune so here are a few options to try:

If you have, or can write out, the first few bars of the tune in abc notation then try putting that into abc tune finder:

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefind

You could post your question on the Session web site.  I know it says it is for Irish music, but there are often non-Irish topics discussed there.

https://thesession.org

Another good site to post your question would be the Mudcat Cafe:

https://mudcat.org

There other traditional music sites out there, but these two have lots of active members, a lot more than on concertina.net.

Finally, Jack Campin is probably the online authority on Scottish traditional music, his email address is the bottom of this long web page:

http://www.campin.me.uk

Let us know if you solve the mystery.

Don.

Someone, I think Halifax, mentioned an app called TunePal. It will “listen” to a tune and try to give you the name

Thank you so much Don and Mathhag for the very detailed information. I didn't have enough time to make more research yet but I will try and a friend of mine living in the north of England asked some Scottish musicians who have all come back with the same answer: they believe it could be from an old scottish tune called " Ye Jacobites by Name" which was adapted from an older tune written in Orkney about 1794, "My Love's in Germany".

It is similar in parts to this song but overall I think it is not the same tune, perhaps from a common origin?

1 hour ago, soloduet said:

" Ye Jacobites by Name"

Yes, that sounds right to me, or maybe "Variations on a Theme of ..."

Don.

On 2/17/2019 at 1:49 PM, soloduet said:

Thank you so much Don and Mathhag for the very detailed information. I didn't have enough time to make more research yet but I will try and a friend of mine living in the north of England asked some Scottish musicians who have all come back with the same answer: they believe it could be from an old scottish tune called " Ye Jacobites by Name" which was adapted from an older tune written in Orkney about 1794, "My Love's in Germany".

Here's a link to Vin Garbutt singing My Love's in Germany, fast forward to 2:12 to hear the song, Vinny's intro is good but he was from Teesside with a very strong accent which may be difficult for non-native UK English speakers to understand.

Sounds to me like the question is answered. Both “Ye Jacobites by Name” and “My Love’s in Germany” are clearly the same tune as the mystery Hebridean Air. As an aside, since this thread started, I have been struck by the similarity of the Air to the American shape-note song, “Wondrous Love,” although that’s probably a case of parallel evolution rather than actual relation. I didn’t post this earlier in the thread before a viable answer emerged because I didn’t want to confuse the issue with what I suspected was a tempting but wrong answer.