Joseph Higham labels on EC

rcr27

Hi all

Does anyone know anything about Joseph Higham and his relation with concertinas? Not long ago I acquired this beautiful Lachenal English concertina from Barleycorn Concertinas. What draws my attention is the fact that it has a “Joseph Higham” label on. I’ve been trying find some information about Joseph Higham manufacturers and I can’t really find much that relates him with concertinas, other than he had a music shop/factory in Manchester? Is not uncommon to see Lachenal concertinas badged under a different name or manufacturer. Nevertheless this concertina plays beautifully and even looks like the inimitable, just with brass reeds. The serial number is 19082.

53513768-BF62-4933-B5AD-2D00D0F3ED3D.jpeg

FA42323B-2A62-4DE8-8C92-EE275D1E2B87.jpeg

EA1A7E7E-A20F-42DB-8463-CA14AA5B7CFC.jpeg

You have probably answered your own question/s ?  Higham had a shop in Manchester, he sold Lachenal concertina's bearing his shops label, as it seems did just about every other 'Dealer/Shop' throughout the country at the time ?  there may be nothing else to discern ? 

That’s the only bit of information that I found about him, I thought he was a maker or restorer. I’ve had a Lachenals in the past labelled Wheatstone and Crabb, who obviously were makers, so I thought Higham could have been a maker. I find it interesting that Lachenal concertinas had different labels; wouldn’t that be sort of “ilegal” nowadays? 

I think, that bearing a label which reads "Manufactured expressly FOR Joseph Higham, Manchester", there is no deceit, actual or implied by the vendor, back in the day. 

It is far more opaque than many Lachenals that bear labels implying that they belonged to a 'Maker' as opposed to simply a vendor/retailer.

It seems to have been was a common practice with ( at least ) many stringed instruments too, but very much so with concertina's. 

A current Anglo case in point........https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-instruments/anglo-concertina-/1326888756

You have probably found this ref. to his Brass instrument factory and sales.

http://manchesterhistory.net/manchester/gone/higham.html

I wouldn't take it as read that he manufactured Harmoniums, despite the last reference.  

Edited by Sprunghub

Or a No.6 ?  if fitted with brass reeds, as stated  ? Fully ornamented, but not tempered steel reeded ? for quieter playing but with the looks ?

6. Rosewood-NEWLY IMPROVED, ornamented throughout, silver-tip keys, fine and pure tone, rosewood box ... ... £7 0 0

7. Rosewood-Same finish as No. 4, with tempered steel reeds, rosewood box ... ... £8 0 0

8. THE PARAGON-Rosewood-Extra best finish, German silver keys, tempered steel reeds, which produce a rich, full, round, sonorous, and yet withal most mellow and flute like quality of tone, a combination never hitherto attained, rosewood box ... ... £10 0 0

9. THE INIMITABLE-Rosewood, same finish as No. 6, with tempered steel reeds, rosewood box 

I had overlooked both the OP‘s stating of the Inimitable and the instrument having brass reeds.

However, I stumbled over the rather flat keys myself - I would have expected an Inimitable to have „spherical“ buttons just like my Excelsior.

Did you actually see the brass material?

5 hours ago, Sprunghub said:

You have probably found this ref. to his Brass instrument factory and sales.

http://manchesterhistory.net/manchester/gone/higham.html

I wouldn't take it as read that he manufactured Harmoniums, despite the last reference.  

Yes that’s website that I looked but still couldn’t find any mention or pictures of a concertina.

• 2 months later...

Nothing to do with concertinas, although I do have 2 Jeffries.

I bought this drum, which was in a very sorry state, in an 'antique' shop in Sheffield 40-odd years ago. I hesitated until, examining it more closely, I found 'J. Higham, Manchester' stamped on the brass barrel. So then I had to buy it. I dont know if J. Higham was any relation.

DSC05700 - Copie.JPG

• Like 1