Parsons Farwell ( to timing! )

Sprunghub

A first attempt at a recording on my little Crane, with both hands !! and several fingers working at once in something like a synchronised fashion.  Occasionally 'tied' due to the 'red recording light' nerves.  It's a bit funereal, but most of the notes are in roughly the right order.  Dedicated to those beginners who want to know if it is worth undoing the screws on a broken and rusty box and having a go - no doubt others will be best judge ! 

https://clyp.it/rsb3e03g 

sounds o.k. for me - well done for a first recording ?

there's just one thing I'd like to point you to: from listening to your track I get the impression (both rhythmically and harmony-wise) that your understanding of the bars and thus the appropriate phrasing seems to be shifted in a way. If you like, listen to my previous recording which I think will (despite its obvious flaws, which I didn't seem to notice that clearly four years ago myself) demonstrate my point (of course you may disagree).

will record another take in the near future, not sure about the pairing with another tune as yet...

best wishes - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
adjusting link

3 hours ago, Sprunghub said:

A first attempt at a recording on my little Crane, with both hands !! and several fingers working at once in something like a synchronised fashion.  Occasionally 'tied' due to the 'red recording light' nerves.  It's a bit funereal, but most of the notes are in roughly the right order.  Dedicated to those beginners who want to know if it is worth undoing the screws on a broken and rusty box and having a go - no doubt others will be best judge ! 

https://clyp.it/rsb3e03g 

well, congratulations to your instrument. It does have an unusally rich, full and warm sound. Proves the point that with musical instruments, it's not the looks that count! How many folds does the bellows have?

Just keep on practicing, well worth it!

Edited by RAc

Hi RAc, it is a 5 fold bellows.....it is a small 'Triumph', Salvation Army  model.  

Wolf - for me to have an understanding of rhythm and harmony 'to' shift would be a bonus !!?It is - I know, very, very basic - even when it is roughly "right"!  Achieving that 'extra' / grace note, off piste, illustrative work may take me for ever.  Was your recording on a Duet or an English ?  

I am currently fairly 'locked on' with two notes ( of a chord ) on the "left" hand side whilst playing melody over the top on the right.  I have tried some of single note left hand stuff , walking up the chord notes etc and it works ok but getting the 'right' note ( on the left ) as opposed to the pair, whilst getting / moving along with the melody is muddling - as is finding the correct 'single' note/button to go for, or pair.  I can repeatedly play it as fast as I like on the right hand for the tune, but it's getting both sides working together that creates the glitches and 'required' me to slow it down and "try" to tidy it up for the recording. 

Given that a few weeks ago I couldn't pair the sides at all, nor find the next right note and have to do it all by muscle memory, I'm happy to keep cracking on. 

Ultimately, I am not too concerned about learning 'tunes', I really want to be able to create simple accompaniment for singing solo with the instrument.  Even to the point of simply holding a chord ( or partial ) beneath the voice with the odd run of melody.

On tunes, it tends to go "ok" until I start 'thinking' about it, ie. at the change from A to B and stopping.....as soon as I 'think' the fingers tie up and the flow stops.  

I have been here before.....I had the same issues with Mandolin and then chord strummed guitar changes and then starting finger-picking......I could sit for hours 'nailing it', over and over ( and over ) then as soon as I tried to record myself to analyse the tone/timing etc, the red light effect made it all go wrong.

All part of the experience.