Sign in to follow this  
Fane

My music - ambient/drone with concertinas!

I thought I'd post the sounds I make here to see if it's of interest to anyone. I make laptop drone music with an influence from American and Celtic folk, and my concertina makes quite frequent appearances - it turns out that my playing ability is good enough for this when I can use Logic to correct my bad timing!

I'll start with this track called Concertina Counterpoint - the whole track was made from a single snippet of Anglo about 15 seconds long that I recorded for something else - every sound in this track is derived from it in some way!

https://fane.bandcamp.com/track/concertina-counterpoint

And the first four tracks on my new album feature varying amounts of concertina.

https://fane.bandcamp.com/album/follow-the-map-2

Through my experiments I've found out that applying extreme time-stretching (by factors of 50-100) preserves the timbre of the sound nicely but makes every note last an extremely long time! Instant harmonium/shruti box-style drones.

• Downvote 1

Extremely enjoyable.   I felt like a cat dreaming in the sun.  Did I hear one of these?

IMG_20180912_102325.jpg

Very nice! I toyed a bit with Paulstretch filters when a tune was to simple. What kind of filters did you use?

@wunks A tromba marina, or how is it called in English?

2 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Very nice! I toyed a bit with Paulstretch filters when a tune was to simple. What kind of filters did you use?

I use Paulstretch too, and a freeware reverb plugin called Ambience that can do things like near-infinite decay and different decay times on different parts of the frequency spectrum - again, instant drones! Ohm Force Frohmage is the main filter plugin I use.

4 hours ago, Sebastian said:

@wunks A tromba marina, or how is it called in English?

Yes.  This appears to be a 17th century version.  lt is bowed, with harmonics struck by the thumb.  Loose translation would be "Mary's Trumpet" as it was a convent instrument, nuns being forbidden to play horns.

Edited by wunks

3 hours ago, wunks said:

it was a convent instrument, nuns

Yes. In German it's called "nuns' trumpet". 😃

But I wonder: I never encountered monks using horns!? (Maybe it relates to cornetts? But still ...)

5 hours ago, Fane said:

reverb plugin called Ambience

Ohm Force Frohmage is the main filter plugin I use.

Thank you, I'll take a look at them.