In praise of a good hard case

On Facebook page for 'Concertinas are Cool' there was discussion about cases. The old/vintage overnight travel cases like American Tourister, etc,  might work in a pinch.  Some measure 9x9x16 inches and could be retro-fitted, or padded more!  

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been custom blocking, lining and adding straps, even leather panels to the Pelican/Storm im2075 cases for the past 6 years. I’ve made them to hold Jeffries, Wheatstone, Morse, Edgley, Tedrow, Crabb and today I just started a case for a friend’s new Carroll Concertinas Noel Hill model.   It all started for me on a film job after I witnessed a piece of camera equipment fall 25 feet from an aerial lift in its case and hit the pavement below. It sustained no damage and was used for filming the scene with the hour. Heavy and bulky? Yes! Indestructible in protecting the contents in almost every situation except fire? Yes.   I have a friend who kayaked along the Atlantic coast from New Hampshire to Maine with her Morse Ceili without incident.  They’re the best for relatively inexpensive protection for your expensive instrument. The in process pictures are of a couple of cases I made recently  for an Edgley and a Tedrow.

0ABE0AD4-4DC2-4AD2-9CB3-36C165DA68C4.jpeg

BDCFDAF7-7B6C-4ABB-8E84-72D2F30D5E9E.jpeg

853271D6-6170-4021-8209-C8FC7E9EECA3.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi JD

The linings look particularly good. Is the apparently modular ?foam you are using to create a tailored fit for instruments a product that is readily available to buy? Also, is it self adhesive or are you using a glue (what sort?) to stick the constructed blokcing together?

Many thanks

1 hour ago, Myrtle's cook said:

Is the apparently modular ?foam you are using to create a tailored fit for instruments a product that is readily available to buy? Also, is it self adhesive or are you using a glue (what sort?) to stick the constructed blokcing together?

Many thanks

This has been discussed in the past ?

You get four pieces of foam, intitially filling out the entire case: two pads and two blocks of small "dices" linked together by bits of foam. You can easily cut along the lines in these blocks, and of course cut the dices to size (not that easily) as well.

My picture as posted in another thread shows the instrument contained in the case, so the fitting is not entirely visible.

However, I can assure you, no glue needed (for the TT I did use some glue, but only because I had cut the top pad all too hastily... ?).

Best wishes - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin

Thanks Wolf - yes, I have fitted out a Peli/Storm case in the way you describe.

I was specifically interested in the particular modular foam being used here and the detailed contouring it permits (with a couple of other case lining projects in mind!).

Hi Wolf

You are not missing the point - I was unaware that Peli-Storm cases now come with this sort of modular foam insert - I was asuming it was from an additional source. My last Peli-Storm case - c.10(+) years ago - came with rather more basic foam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devils' Dream said:

Kaizen foam is nicer and more durable. Recommended.

Can't comment on this recommendation - but re durability it should be considered that Hardigg foam is apparently not designed to provided flexiblity; to the contrary if constantly compressed it will adopt and retain any imposed shape in my experience.

• 2 weeks later...