In praise of a good hard case

My dad used to make tool boxes out of 1/2 inch scrap plywood all the time. This was back in the day before every tool came in its own vacuum formed plastic box, and before strand board took over in the building trades. He'd come home from his carpentry jobs with "useless" pieces too good to throw out.  When he needed a tool box he'd sort out the pile leaning next to the door in the garage. He'd just make a hollow square or rectangle the size he needed out of those scraps, cut around it wherever he thought it would open best, sand it down, slap down a latch and a couple of hinges and he'd be good to go.  While they weren't elegant with their window sash handles, they were cheap and lasted forever.  I think I parted with the last one a year ago. No, never mind... I've still got one in the basement with the Porter Cable belt sander he used for decades inside.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a variety of hard cases...  but rarely use them.

Instead, I have a Lowepro Flipside 300 camera soft case that looks like a small backpack. It is very well padded and fits two concertinas, plus a bit of other gear.

If I were to drive over it in my car... well, it would probably not do the trick... but for portability, convenience and security, it can't be beat. Mine is getting a bit frayed at the edges after 10 years of touring. Perhaps I have to get a new one.

7 hours ago, Jody Kruskal said:

I have a variety of hard cases...  but rarely use them.

Instead, I have a Lowepro Flipside 300 camera soft case that looks like a small backpack. It is very well padded and fits two concertinas, plus a bit of other gear.

If I were to drive over it in my car... well, it would probably not do the trick... but for portability, convenience and security, it can't be beat. Mine is getting a bit frayed at the edges after 10 years of touring. Perhaps I have to get a new one.

Same here; while the instruments reside in waterproof Hardigg Pelican cases at home, they almost always travel in the Lowepro Flipside 300.  It's padded enough to withstand the expected jostling in pubs; being a backpack, it's much easier to carry during all-day Morris walking tours.  And living/playing in the big city, I worry much less about theft when the instruments are on my back.

Different cases for different situations.

18 hours ago, Jim Besser said:

Different cases for different situations.

Perfectly true - however as long as it's just about one single instrument, a Pelican case can very well be put in a rucksack or similar...

(and that's what I did before having acquired my TT, which now prompts me to carry a Pelican case in either hand...)

Best wishes - ?

Edited by Wolf Molkentin
link added

A Lowepro Flipside Sport  15L AW  carries  my  8" Aeola  and  6.25" Hex.( with a bit of a squeeze)  during festivals  where  much  walking about  is  required  but otherwise  I use  a strong  Plywood  double concertina case  that  is the  correct height  to use as a chair when turned on end.  It only holds two  normal sized  instruments  though.

21 hours ago, David Barnert said:

Can anyone offer an informed opinion on whether it’s really a good idea to store a concertina 24/7 in a case that doesn’t breathe?

An uninformed opinion requires the question, "What were the room conditions when it was put in there?"  If the humidity was in the 50% range and the room temperature was human friendly 58-70 degrees F I'd think it would be OK.   If you go into higher temperatures or higher humidity conditions you might have a mildew issue.  But at higher temps combined with higher humidity you'd likely have a mildew risk if you didn't air them daily.  Or even if you did.  Mildew is the most common problem in the summer in the midwestern United States, followed by wood cracking in the heating season. 

Has anyone got a Nanuk 908 and if yes, are they slightly larger than the Storm 2075?  I don't mean as measured by the manufacturers spec, I mean in real life.  I don't find the Storm to "actually" be 9.5 x 7.5 x 7.25, even at its largest, let alone at its taper.

Also, any experience with Nanuk cases?  They seem nice.

I've been looking for cases for my larger concertinas and have been lurking to Etsy, since old industrial cases show up there.  However, this caught my eye, especially as he makes them custom and so could probably do any size and then all you would have to do is finish to  your liking.

image 2

Here's the link:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/500821392/12-x-12-x-12-hexagonal-hinged-lid-box?ref=shop_home_active_43

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:34 AM, saguaro_squeezer said:

I've been looking for cases for my larger concertinas and have been lurking to Etsy, since old industrial cases show up there.  However, this caught my eye, especially as he makes them custom and so could probably do any size and then all you would have to do is finish to  your liking.

image 2

Here's the link:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/500821392/12-x-12-x-12-hexagonal-hinged-lid-box?ref=shop_home_active_43

Its a shame the maker doesn't ship to the UK.

8 hours ago, saguaro_squeezer said:

Just curious if you asked?  He seemed like a pretty reasonable fellow when I corresponded with him.

No but I noticed on the link that it said: 'Sorry, this item doesn't ship to the UK'.

• Downvote 1

13 hours ago, saguaro_squeezer said:

Well, if you really wanted one, I could ship it to you.

Thanks for the offer that's very kind of you.  However, at this time I don't need it as my existing box is being modified to make my instrument a good fit.  

On 1/22/2019 at 1:21 AM, LateToTheGame said:

I love my pelican case, and carry it in a Polar  Bear thermal cooler designed to carry 24 cans of the beverage of your choice .....

You must be pretty certain then that at your public gatherings there are no beer freeloaders about ...