Desert island concertinas

Maybe pinch someone else's prize instrument to bring with me, so the owner would have an incentive to come rescue?

If there isn't going to be a rescue, then I'd be looking for something durable, and easy to repair, so more likely one of the top end hybrids.  I assume I also get to bring tools?

If it is to be one I already actually own, then a tough choice between the 20 button Lachenal I first learned on and fell in love with, or the 26 button Jones I play more often lately because of the additional notes.  Both have very sweet tone, but the Lachenal is sweeter, I was very lucky to find this particular instrument when I first started out.  But I'd be worried about the effects of humidity on the wood, because I have experienced problems with the dry indoor winter air here - do you think a desert island would  be excessively dry (desert) or humid (island) ?

Edited by Tradewinds Ted

On 1/11/2019 at 9:38 PM, scoopet said:

You're allowed to take one concertina.........what one and why...?

difficult! I would have to choose between treble EC (awesome sound and dynamics as you know), TT (most versatile with a sound rather classy and elegant) and the beautiful Crabb Crane (newly acquired, providing an entire new world to explore).

right now my answer would be: the model 24, which can be played very softly and with an even quiet tone but - should I be allowed so - replace an etire band as well.

Edited by Wolf Molkentin

7 hours ago, Tradewinds Ted said:

do you think a desert island would  be excessively dry (desert) or humid (island) ?

let‘s hope these particular aspects would merge into temperate conditions - or we might choose not just the concertina but an appropriate island in the first place

10 hours ago, Tradewinds Ted said:

But I'd be worried about the effects of humidity on the wood, because I have experienced problems with the dry indoor winter air here - do you think a desert island would  be excessively dry (desert) or humid (island) ?

A desert island is an island that is uninhabited by people (deserted), not necessarily a dry sandy place. For example Rockall.

20 hours ago, scoopet said:

You're allowed to take one concertina.........what one and why...?

I think I'd bring my wreck of a Lachenal tudor that I've been meaning to restore.....someday.  it's so leaky it would be quite useful in this situation!  It'd make a great fish trap with some slight modification and could be used as a Baleen for sieving out the small organic goodies for making soup.  Assuming the hot/dry alternative, it's black bellows would make it a dandy solar shower and it will provide cooling comfort in the mid-day hours.  It's ubiquitous octagon wooden box has many potential uses.  Among the less discrete;  a pillow, a seat, a means for transporting coconuts (after draining, to keep them from drying out) an abode for one's pet crab.......

Additionally,  the few squawks and groans it does make, could be useful for luring in sea birds and marine mammals looking to mate, with a few frantic box lid claps to disperse them if things get out of hand.......?

Edited by wunks
more info

9 hours ago, alex_holden said:

A desert island is an island that is uninhabited by people (deserted), not necessarily a dry sandy place. For example Rockall.

Learned (or perhaps re-learned) something then.  Thanks.  I somehow had it in my head it was both a desert and deserted!

So really, in addition to choosing an instrument, I need to choose a good single-hand boat.

The choice between my two 30-b Anglos would be easy: I'd take the sweeter-sounding, easier-to-play Dallas/Crabb rather than the Stagi hybrid. On the other hand, it might be a good idea to be left alone with my Lachenal 48-b Crane. I' don't play it as well as I play the Anglo, but if it's a true desert island there'll be no natives to entertain, so that's no problem, and by the time I get rescued, I might be quite good on the Crane! :)

Cheers,

John