Very Pretty Anglo

Chris Timson

Hi all,

There's a very pretty anglo here on eBay at the moment, with a radial reed pan. Now as it happens, the very few Jones anglos I've seen inside had Jeffries-style parallel reed pans. How typical were radial or parallel reed pans in Jones anglos?

TIA

Chris

There's a very pretty anglo here on eBay at the moment, with a radial reed pan. Now as it happens, the very few Jones anglos I've seen inside had Jeffries-style parallel reed pans. How typical were radial or parallel reed pans in Jones anglos?

I have two Jones anglos with radial reed pans. I know you've seen the one, Chris, though I guess you didn't look inside. It's the virtual twin of the one you linked to, but for needing rather a bit of work.

I must have had nearly a dozen of these, when I was dealing in concertinas, and with their nomal-width reeds (not Jones' "broad steel reeds") and rivetted actions they play very nicely indeed. The bellows are particularly attractive, with that gold design on green papers, and the gold-leaf on the green bellows.

I once had a lovely (and rare) example of the type with rosewood ends, that I thought very highly of and wanted to keep, but a good friend of mine wanted it very badly, and wouldn't take "no" for an answer.

Is yours a good player Jim?  It is a nice looking instrument although I thought they were generally rated a little below Lachenal (hearsay, not experience, speaking here).

Well, there's a big hole in the bellows, and it needs some other work, and since I have other anglos, I've done little more than experiment with the Jones. But I like the sound and the feel very much. I definitely intend to get it restored when I can afford to do so, and it will get played.

I might prefer a Lachenal New Model to the Jones, but I'd put the Jones well above an ordinary Lachenal anglo. Just my opinion.

As the seller of the instrument, I can confirm it does play well, perhaps not aswell as a top model Lachenal, but it certainly knocks the wooden ended ones into a cocked hat. I've repaired and restored several Jones instruments over the last year or so, and this is the only radial reed pan one I've seen

Bill

I agree this is an attractive looking concertina. I was wondering if the ends are the originals as they are not the typical Jones fret.Another thing is that quite a few of the Jones anglos I have seen have the right hand accidental row staggered(one position to the right ) and this one does not.It is not possible to look for alteration to the button positions as the exposed end is the left hand. These are just observations that I would like to hear the experts views on and are in no way meant to be a critisism of what appears to be a nice box.

I've repaired and restored several Jones instruments over the last year or so, and this is the only radial reed pan one I've seen

Ah, thanks, that's what I was after and that was what I thought. So as a first approximation Jones made both radial and parallel reed pans, but the parallel is more common.

It's a very pretty box, hope it sells well.

Chris

I agree this is an attractive looking concertina. I was wondering if the ends are the originals as they are not the typical Jones fret.

As I said, the one of mine is a near twin of the one Billcro is selling. Aside from a few small bits missing from mine, the fretwork is nearly identical, with only some small variation along the top edge (but hard to spot, as the style is the same), and the extra button holes on mine aren't drilled out, though the same solid expanses are incorporated into the fretwork, so that buttons could be installed there.

Another thing is that quite a few of the Jones anglos I have seen have the right hand accidental row staggered(one position to the right ) and this one does not.It is not possible to look for alteration to the button positions as the exposed end is the left hand.

Eh? On eBay I see photos of both ends. And my button layout matches Billcro's for both ends. Doesn't look shifted.

I wonder whether the radial reed pans and fretwork design are typical of a particular period with Jones. For what it's worth, my other radial Jones is a special keyboard layout, which was described in an 1884 patent. And its fretwork is a design I haven't seen elsewhere.

Jim, That was what I was getting at .I was thinking maybe this was a model made for a short period or maybe a special run.I also wondered whether Jones had maybe re furbishedor revamped this concertina.But I can see that is unlikely in light of the similarty of yours and the other one just come on ebay.The button shifting (eh) thing.Well Ive always wondered why Jones seemed to maked a lot of anglos with the right hand accidental row(c#/d#) button in a slightly different position to most other makers.

I'll crawl back under my rock now,and peep rather than post.

I agree this is an attractive looking concertina. I was wondering if the ends are the originals as they are not the typical Jones fret.

As I said, the one of mine is a near twin of the one Billcro is selling

And like I was saying :

I must have had nearly a dozen of these ...

I wonder whether the radial reed pans and fretwork design are typical of a particular period with Jones.

They seem to be typical of his later production.

For what it's worth, my other radial Jones is a special keyboard layout, which was described in an 1884 patent.  And its fretwork is a design I haven't seen elsewhere.

I've got one of those too, with metal ends and ebony trim. I know of only a handful of others, but all in rosewood.

Some interesting history here too.

It's interesting alright, but doesn't seem to relate to this Anglo !

If you take a close look at the drwing of the "Cutty Sark" concertina, taped inside the lid of the case, you can see that it is clearly of an English concertina. I have enlarged it on my computer, and it looks to me that it is probably of an inexpensive Lachenal model with coloured bone buttons :

post-436-1109952595_thumb.jpg