Jody Kruskal

The Ballad of the Button Box

Bob Snope from the Button Box store wrote this excellent concertina song. Here I am performing it at the Horsham Folk Club last November.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure Rich Morse is smiling, up in squeezebox heaven!

Ken

"If you can type, then you can play the concertina."

Taking a typing class in junior high school certainly hasn't hurt my concertina playing, but...

How many folks these days are accomplished typists.  Most of my friends with keyboard-equipped computers are "two-finger typists".  Others only have phones... or maybe tablets.

So... is anyone producing a concertina that can be played nicely with just two thumbs?

2 hours ago, Anglo-Irishman said:

Not a concertina, exactly - but it has got free reeds: the Kalimba!

Touché!

And even simpler (one reed, one thumb or finger):  the jews harp.

The typing analogy is funny. I often tell folks that the buttons make as much sense as a QUERTY keyboard at first.

cdm

15 hours ago, Halifax said:

the buttons make as much sense as a QUERTY keyboard at first

Yes, or the QWERTZ keyboard that we have in German-speaking countries. It's just as crazy as the QWERTY, but the Z and Y are swapped.

A bit analogous to the difference between the Wheatstone and Jeffries layouts for the 30-button Anglo!

Cheers,

John

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JimLucas said:

"If you can type, then you can play the concertina."

Taking a typing class in junior high school certainly hasn't hurt my concertina playing, but...

How many folks these days are accomplished typists.  ...

When computers came in for us at work I made the effort to learn eight-finger touch-typing, and I'm glad I did. I always felt that playing the Crane duet gave me a head start as I was used to employing all my fingers, and without looking. On the other hand I've only recently come to the smart phone and am still in one-finger mode for typing. I'm not sure I'll ever make the transition to two thumbs - I suspect they've sat idle on the concertina for too many decades now to learn a new role in life.

LJ

I taught myself to type at the age of 11 because my handwriting was already bad, though since then it has continued to get worse and worse. Fairly early in my time of playing the concertina I also had a thesis to type -- twice, once a rough copy for my supervisor to comment on and then again a fair copy to be submitted. I have always believed that those two activites helped each other. I'm not entirely a touch-typist but I do use most of my fingers. I tried Hayden Duet for a bit but missed having an obvious home position, as one has on an Anglo (my usual instrument) and is supposed to have on a typewriter or computer keyboard.