Houston, TX Concertina Teacher

dpgetman

Hi folks,

This is my first post.  I am a 5-string banjo player who is just picking up the concertina.  I have a Rochelle 30 key anglo concertina and can work out Que Sera Sera, but that's about it.  I am hoping to locate a teacher or, at the very least, someone who can give a beginner a few pointers in the Houston, TX area or thereabouts. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

David 

Not what you asked about, but perhaps you could look into the Old Time Music and Dulcimer Festival in Palestine, TX the weekend of March 28-30, 2019.  While concertinas don't make the festival title, they will have some concertina workshops.  You can search here for threads in this site with more detail about that aspect of the festival, both for this year and prior years, to give you an idea of what might be involved.

The festival website itself has a page about the concertina workshops too, and of course more about the rest of the festival.

http://www.oldpalmusic.com/Concertinas.html

I've never been, but as it is perhaps only 2.5 hours drive away from Houston, I imagine that beyond the workshops you might also find other players from the Houston area or at least nearby.  And as a banjo player I expect you could have fun at an old-time music festival any case, if you brought both instruments!  (I play banjo a too, just a little)