Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Hersh

Who made this one? (British? German?)

I am puzzled by this one that's now on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-30-Button-Anglo-CONCERTINA-Works-Needs-Restored/153321689713    It looks English-made at first glance, but I believe it has screws rather than endbolts , and the rows of buttons appear to me to be a bit straighter than on the British makes.  The fretwork has a little crown-like shape where a brand name and serial number would appear on a Lachenal.   This picture may show a British-style action on the inside, but I am not at all sure.

Any thoughts, anyone?   It occurred to me that it might be German-made but with British construction methods, like the English concertinas described here

Daniel,

The bellows yell, "German" at me.  As far as action I'm more likely seeing a row of parallel wood arms rather than radiating brass action arms.

Greg

yes - I even seem to notice these nasty baffles with metalish finish,  typically known from „Stagi/Bastari/Brunner“ instruments...

5 hours ago, Greg Jowaisas said:

Daniel,

The bellows yell, "German" at me.  As far as action I'm more likely seeing a row of parallel wood arms rather than radiating brass action arms.

Greg

Thanks, Greg - I think you're right.  I should have taken a closer look at the bellows, and I suspect you're right about the action too.  The ends are a pretty good imitation of an English-made concertina.

I have a 2 row one that is really similar. The brass action is similar to a wheatstone but the buttons are glued to the ends of the arms like a wood action instrument. bellows are pretty good quality and has a tag in the bellows from a store  on Mongomery St. in San Francisco that is 50+ yrs gone.