Sign in to follow this  
McDouglas

Source for ITM: "The Session"

I know this website must have been around for a while but just today I've discovered a great source for ITM tunes:  The Session.

https://thesession.org/tunes

Ability to search by tune type (reels, jigs, hornpipes, etc) and by keys.

Yes, the site has a lot of tunes, and even more comments and opinions (some more helpful than others), but unfortunately a lot of folks have posted tunes that they've admittedly altered. So beware. Better to learn tunes from players you like or go deep into original sources like O'Neill, Roche, Joyce, Walsh, Comhaltas, etc.!

Gary

yes, you need good judgement to find an appropriate version amongst all the variants, but it can be done mostly...

Here's another (though quite different) huge collection but focussing on English dance tunes (no ITM):

https://www.vwml.org/topics/historic-dance-and-tune-books

It's a vast collection of scans of originally published dance tune collections, sometimes converted to ABCs/MIDI. Be careful: It's easy to get lost there, it's so large.

1 hour ago, RAc said:

Here's another (though quite different) huge collection but focussing on English dance tunes (no ITM):

https://www.vwml.org/topics/historic-dance-and-tune-books

It's a vast collection of scans of originally published dance tune collections, sometimes converted to ABCs/MIDI. Be careful: It's easy to get lost there, it's so large.

Wow - that's awesome Rüdiger - I will get lost I reckon...

Best wishes - 🐺

This site :    https://www.irishtune.info/  

has transformed the way I learn tunes. You can search by tune name, and get a list with a listenable snippet, of many , many recordings going back decades.  And you can sample tracks on any recording in their data base as well.

On 12/27/2018 at 4:41 PM, gcoover said:

original sources like O'Neill, Roche, Joyce, Walsh, Comhaltas

Gcoover, will you say more about these "original sources"? 

I'll preface by saying these are some of the primary and first printed sources for traditional Irish tunes, which we know change and adapt over the years (though not usually as deliberately as on thesession.org):

Captain Francis O'Neill - the original collection of 1850 tunes "Music of Ireland" (1903), 1001 tunes in "Dance Music of Ireland" (1907) and 365 tunes in "Waifs and Strays of Gaelic Melody" (1922).

George Petrie - "The Complete Collection of Irish Music as Noted by George Petrie" (1902-1905).

P.W. Joyce - "Old Irish Folk Music and Songs" (1909).

Edward Bunting - "General Collection of Ancient Irish Music" (1796).

Honoria Galwey - "Old Irish Croonauns and Other Tunes" (1910), 72 tunes.

Francis Roche - "The Roche Collection of Traditional Irish Music (1912, 1927), 3 volumes, 566 tunes.

More recently, Comhaltas has published three volumes of the "Foinn Seisiun Book" by Brian Prior.

Also, "Ceol Rince na hEireann" is up to 5 volumes edited by Breandan Breathnach and Jackie Small.

I'm sure others will chime in with more early publications. From personal experience I will warn you the sheer mass of tunes will drive you crazy. Although it is often fun to open one up randomly and see what tunes might be of interest, it's far more sane to start with recorded tunes you like, or ones common to your local session. But who knows, maybe you'll discover a hidden gem or two buried in all those books that you can bring back to life!

Gary

• Like 1

Gary,

Thanks.  It's great to see a list like this.  Thanks so much!

McDouglas

On 12/27/2018 at 3:53 PM, McDouglas said:

I know this website must have been around for a while but just today I've discovered a great source for ITM tunes:  The Session.

https://thesession.org/tunes

Ability to search by tune type (reels, jigs, hornpipes, etc) and by keys.

I use this resource all the time. I also use an app called Tunepal. In a session when I don't know a tune, I can have my phone "listen" to it and Tunepal will tell me what it thinks the tune is. It's so cool. Developed (so I'm told) by a prof at UCD. Super handy.

cdm

It is irrelevant but I can't help asking: UCD = University College Dublin? University of California Davis? or?

Ken

1 hour ago, Ken_Coles said:

It is irrelevant but I can't help asking: UCD = University College Dublin? University of California Davis? or?

Ken

It's a good question, as it prompted me to fact check my post. As it turns out, the author of Tunepal is Bryan Duggan who's a lecturer in the School of Computing in the Dublin Institute of Technology. (But I did mean University College Dublin.)