Rich C R

Will it confuse me?

I play a 56 key extended treble EC.    I have never played any other type of EC but have a mind to purchase a 56 key Baritone Tenor.   However, it suddenly dawned on me (I'm slow on the uptake) the fingers will have to be in a different position to play a tune in the same pitch as my treble.   What is the experience of those members who have played both, did you find it easy enough to adapt or does it take quite a time to get there?

If the Baritone  is  the  more usual  type, where the buttons have the same  position  relative to the  thumb straps  but  play  an octave lower than the treble  then the only problem is when you  wish to play  on it in the same octave  as  the treble  and  thus need to find  each note  on the opposite  end of the instrument  BUT  I  assume    you are refering to  the  type  where   the keyboard  is  ostensibly  like a treble  extended  downward  an octave.     This  type  of instrument  (  that Wheatstones  called  "Baritone Treble)  usually has the thumb straps  moved  forward, away from the player,  in line with  the  centre  point  of   each side.  This  shift  of the thumb  straps  reduces  the  difference  between  button  positions of the  Treble  and the Baritone Treble . On my version of the Baritone Treble  the  pinky grip  plates  are also extended  forwards  to help the hand position  but I have seen  other models that  do not have this feature

I play  both the  Treble and the  Baritone Treble  and  yes there is a moment  of  adjustment  , even slight confusion,  because  there is still  a change of position;  the  forward  edge  of the thumb straps  of  the treble  are in line  with the G and A  buttons... on the Baritone-Treble  the   forward  edge of the straps align  with   the C and D buttons.  

The problem for me  occurs  when I have been playing  the Baritone-Treble  at home  but  change to  the Treble when playing in the dance band.  It often happens that the very first  notes  the band plays  are  me making an intro  to the first  dance  with  concertina....  and  sometimes   I've  been known to start  in the  wrong key.  Or when  playing 'blind' ( deaf)  during a noisy  session  I can start  fumbling for the correct position.  Once I am 'In Position'  all , usually, goes well.

A Baritone this way around... like a treble with an extra octave continuation  downwards  is my favorite  type of EC.

P1000277.JPG

P1000278.JPG

Edited by Geoff Wooff
  • Like 1

Thanks Geoff,  very helpful and informative.  Yes, I am talking about the Baritone Treble (my mistake saying Baritone Tenor) and yes it has the key layout you show in the photographs.    What you have said has reinforced my purchase decision., thanks again.

Rich,

as you were asking about  self accompaniment  in another thread  then  the Baritone Treble  is , I find, ideal.  There  is  an embeded  track  on C.net  of  me playing the  B/T  in fact I made  several  recordings  for   the 'Tune  of the Month '  forum  that can be found on Soundcloud  by searching my name.  For the embeded track  search  'The Fiery Clockface'  on the tune of the month  forum. 

PS:

These are  all  'off the cuff'  ( or just plain  rough')  recordings for the the tune of the month...  three of the soundcloud  tracks  are  on  Duets (2 Hayden and 1 MacCann)  but the rest are on Baritone Treble.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Geoff, thanks it sounds really good.   You mention in the post, 'this instrument is tuned in 1/5th Comma Meantone', which has sent me in another direction LOL, lots of reading, though I fear it's all a little above me at the moment.

Edited by Rich C R

Posted (edited)

Well I have just collected my Baritone Treble today.   In the end I chose the 64 key model over a 56 key, it just felt better in my hands.  Have just finished my first couple of hours playing and am very pleased.   I have still a long way to go but I feel the journey with this concertina will be a happy one.

Edited by Rich C R
  • Like 1