Heroes gone missing?...

RAc

Hi,

this time of the year, there's always recapping and questioning. One of the things that crossed my mind is that some of my "forum heroes" (and almost exclusively people I came to meet personally to some degree or the other) appeared to have gone missing in 2018. WIthout a claim to completeness, I looked up Jim Lucas, Kurt Braun, Alan Day and Stephen Chambers and found they haven't been logged on to the forum for quite a while now. Hopefully all of you guys are ok and still happily squeezing along, just shifting your focus away from this only partially real place.

Take care and happy holidays!

In all of my leisure activities, forums seem to be ceding ground to Facebook.  The structure of a forum is ideal for detailed discussion, but you have to visit it to take part.  If someone is checking Facebook anyway, chances are they will read and respond to a couple of hobby related posts and feel satisfied with that.  It's a pity, because I prefer the more detailed and reasoned posts you get in forums.

Your post reminded me of:

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an ice pick
That made his ears burn
Whatever happened to
Dear old Lenin?
The great Elmyra
And Sancho Panza?
Whatever happened to the heroes?
Whatever happened to
All of the heroes?
All the Shakespearoes?
They watched their Rome burn
No more heroes any more
No more heroes any more
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Crossland said:

Stephen has more of a facebook presence these days

Facebook!   A number of forums for my other hobby have either shut down or membership and activity has decreased dramatically due  to members switching to Facebook.  A sorry state indeed.  Maybe I am the odd one out but I fail to see the attraction.   I found Facebook to be really annoying so I don't bother with it.   I'll stay old fashioned and happy.

Hopefully the Heroes will return...…..

Edited by Rich C R
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, Rich C R said:

Facebook!   A number of forums for my other hobby have either shut down or membership and activity has decreased dramatically due  to members switching to Facebook.  A sorry state indeed.  Maybe I am the odd one out but I fail to see the attraction.   I found Facebook to be really annoying so I don't bother with it.   I'll stay old fashioned and happy.

Agreed.  Leastways  Concertina.net  is staying in better health  than some other  forums  I  know.

1 hour ago, Rich C R said:

Agreed!  Seems that Mandolin Cafe, Acoustic Guitar Forum and Scubaboard Forum among others are still quite robust too.

1 hour ago, mike_s said:

Agreed!  Seems that Mandolin Cafe, Acoustic Guitar Forum and Scubaboard Forum among others are still quite robust too.

Mandolin Cafe might be the best web site on the interwebs (apologies to present company - a strong contender ;-).

3 hours ago, Geoff Wooff said:

Agreed.  Leastways  Concertina.net  is staying in better health  than some other  forums  I  know.

And less likely to sell you to the Russians than Facebook is! ?

In all seriousness, this is a good site: excellent work, y'all.

www.accordionists.co.uk  is also an  excellent forum  and I am told    melodeon.net  is  also  a  fine place to hang out.  Yes I am  on Facebook  too . Some people use it  more for self promotion  but the ,almost ,instant  messaging  facility  can be fun, amongst  people  one really knows.

Here I miss  Dirge  who posted  forthright  opinions and some  fine  recordings  of his MacCann  playing... espcially    since  I  traded to him one of the very  finest  Wheatstone Aeolas  I have ever  come across  with the hope of  hearing  great results....  and the  blighter  took umbridge  about someone's   comments  and never posted here again.  If you are reading  this Dirge... please come back ?!

Edited by Geoff Wooff
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Geoff Wooff said:

and never posted here again.

this is not exactly true (as he‘d been offering an instrument - a middle-sized Lachenal if my memory serves me well - in the meantime), and yes, I miss him too, and told him so - I reckon he won‘t be coming back too soon (but might in fact be reading this at some point).

A lovely holiday for you as well Geoff!

20 hours ago, MJGray said:

And less likely to sell you to the Russians than Facebook is! ?

And I don't imagine concertina.net is collecting my personal information like FaceBook. 

At the risk of going off-topic I encourage you to listen to this podcast

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/does-silicon-valley-have-a-conscience-with-kara-swisher/id1265845136?i=1000426192088&mt=2

Preet Bharara interviews  Kara Swisher is a technology journalist and co-founder and editor-at-large of Recode. She has been called “Silicon Valley’s most feared and well-liked journalist.”  

Viva la concertina.net!

Dear All:

Thanks you all for your contributions. Being both a software developer and a cybermermit myself, I'll happily agree with almost anything written (and not written) about the evil of the so-called "social networks." We could go on endlessly about their fouled up business model and the immorality they expose whenever you're confronted with them (there are few niche alternatives like Threema, but as long as customers are not willing to pay for services, those will remain niches).

Anyways, let's please take this discussion elsewhere. My motivation in starting this thread was to remember who made this cyber place what it is now (undisputedly positive). Some have sadly passed away (Leo, Kautilya, Larry Stout and others we may or may never become aware of), some may have taken their focus away from the music, the concertina or this forum; some of those may have been forced to do so for health reasons (which may happen to any of us any time  - there but for fortune...). It would be nice, methinks, to know they're ok, read about their whereabouts and the paths they took in life. Isn't that what a community is all about?

So have a nice holiday season, all of you, and let's look forward to another year of wonderful discussions on c.net!

• Like 1