Hexagonal wood box

Bazza12

People tend to advise against using these boxes. If the concertina is kept in one, and the box is stood on its base, the valves hang down and will tend to form a permanent curl.

It is better to store a concertina on its side for this reason. Of course, you could keep the box on its side.

In addition, if the concertina fits too tightly inside the box, it can be hard to remove it. This can result in damage to the instrument.

If you still really want one, Chris Algar from Barleycorn Concertinas often has them. I expect most other dealers and repairers will come across them quite often.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Have already contacted Chris & ham waiting for his reply. I have a 1853 Wheatstone in an hexagonal box which I do keep on it'side. The concertina is quite a tight fit, so I tip it upside dowm to let the instrument slide out, so as not to pull on the bellows. Regards Barry Howell.

Hi Bazza,

If you are still after a box I have one that I sympathetically restored i.e it still looks old and all previous aults and blemishes can still be seen although they are now fixed ) and found a key for , that I have been meaning to sell but never got round to advertising. Should suit an EC 'tina with four folds on the bellows. I know it is too small for both my EC's  that have 6 fold bellows and none of my Anglos fit. Photos attached . It has a veneer skin

If still interested we can discuss price, etc. later.

Mike

WP_20180905_10_08_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20180905_10_10_15_Pro.jpg

Am sort of interested, but I might change the 4 fold bellows to 5/6 fold as they are not in good condition & neither are the leather coverings on the ends. It will depend on prices for new bellows from someone else. I do not fancy the job of making my own, even though you can get the complete kits, I gather. I am a retired engineer, not a player, who likes "tinkering". The box looks virtually identical to the one I have for my 1853 Wheatstone 48 key. Please give me some idea of price, including postage, via my email address, if you want it to be private. (bazhow@hotmail.co.uk) Regards baz.