Tedrow Anglo baritone

I own a hybrid C/G baritone anglo and have played several others. My experience is that they don't respond (typically) at the ideal speed to the very exacting demands of Irish dance tunes. Those require fast and very even response across the entire range. That's not the nature of hybrid baritones that I've tried - perhaps it takes the very top-notch trad-reed instruments to do that. Others may know more.

I find these demand a different playing style, at least to my ear - they are not just C/G boxes played an octave lower. They are very pleasant and have their own uses. And you are always welcome at concertina bands, esp. if you read bass clef!

Ken

Thanks for that Ken , I typically play my 7 mount c/g Anglo with 2 or three fiddles , English Concertina and mandolin/ banjo .

To add  interest, some thing in a lower register is what I’m after . I had thought of playing some tunes on the melodeon, sadly I’m to lazy to learn a new instrument so that’s why an Anglo Baritone  has caught my eye . I was thinking when playing Baritone I could leave the 

fast stuff to the others , and as you pointed out a good opportunity to work on the “ bass clef”

all the best Martin

41 minutes ago, Sunbeamer said:

I had thought of playing some tunes on the melodeon, sadly I’m to lazy to learn a new instrument

pity - I would like to encourage you to learn playing the 4th-apart-melodeon - it's sort of a reversed Anglo system, thus not allowing a direct transfer of skills, but not that difficult (I'm just giving it another try with a newly acquired Hohner Club Morino), believe me!

best wishes - ?

1 hour ago, Sunbeamer said:

I do have a c# / d melodeon hiding in the locker

I have no experience at all with semitone-apart melodeons - what I'm playing myself is basically two rows, tuned a fourth (as opposed to a fifth re the Anglo) apart, so no C/G but a C/F (or a G/C, scarcely); a three-row would expand this concept, my Weltmeister (Tex Mex so-to-speak) is in G-C-F (a third regular row), my "Club" instruments are in C/F and Bb/Eb (with the "Gleichton" at the center of the inner or center row, and then a helper row similar to the outer row of an Anglo).

Two rows are allowing some smooth runs with the bellows direction unchanged and nice RH harmonies...

You would need an instrument with octave tuning and couplers then, in order to add a sound in the lower register.

You might google Hohner Pokerwork (1 and 2 row) or Erika (2 row) to get an impression of basic models (of course there are several Italian brands providing these instruments as well). Don't be confused by the similar looks of an Erica (fourth-apart) and a Double Ray...

Best wishes - ?

I fairly recently acquired a Tedrow Baritone Anglo, which used to belong to a friend.

I was certainly appreciative (envious) the first time he showed it to me.  When I was considering buying a similar instrument available several years ago, I asked him about his, and the advice I recall was that I ought to go ahead, and "consider it an investment in my future happiness."   Although I didn't quite make the purchase at that time, I very, very nearly did.  The last time we had gotten together to play, he also mentioned that he found he didn't play the baritone the same way in a session, mostly because the lower baritone register doesn't cut through with the melody in a session the way the treble register does.  It does seem to be a good choice of instrument to accompany a melody, and for singing it doesn't seem to step on the voice range as much as the treble Anglo.

I notice that the lowest notes can be just a little slower to start, which might be an issue when playing at full tilt on the melody in a Irish Traditional session, but I've not been doing that on any instrument really, and this works just fine for my speed.

I like it, but I haven't been playing it much yet.  That is mostly because I've been playing less lately overall, but perhaps also because it reminds me of the loss of my friend, and so it doesn't really feel like it is mine yet.

Edited by Tradewinds Ted

Thanks for that Ted , I must say that’s a “ bittersweet “ way to get your Baritone. I hope you do indeed find it  an investment in your future 

happiness!

im thinking on how to play jigs and reels kind “emptied out” so’s to leave space for the Baritone. I’ve heard Jack Talty & Cormac Begley do some amazing tunes using a Baritone and standard Anglo.

finding the information coming from the c net community really helpful.

all the best 

Another hybrid option to consider is the Morse ESB Baritone Anglo, sold by the Button Box in the USA.  Perhaps they also have a distributor in the UK.  These are also very nice instruments, and it seems even the lowest reeds start readily, although my experience so far is limited.

On 12/19/2018 at 3:40 PM, Sunbeamer said:

Hello folks , 

anyone have experience of the Tedrow Anglo Baritone?

im nervous of an instrument with accordion reeds of that size , I’m wondering if it would respond well to Irish trad .

thanks 

I don't know about the Tedrow, but I have a Morse ESB C/G baritone and is just about as fast as the standard Morse instruments.  Which is to say, quite fast.

Edited by Jim Besser

I have a Tedrow D/A baritone he made for me some years back. Just fabulous. I call it my “Hymn Machine” . It has a deep , sonorous voice. Well balanced, it is not as agile as my c/g tedrow, ( it’s Much bigger) but for anything slower than a fast jig, it’s great. It has held up perfectly for 10 years or so.