Buttrey manuscript

Roger Hare

1 hour ago, Don Taylor said:

As a result of your post I discovered a treasure trove of material from my home province:

Thanks,

Don, all part of the service ?...

I did wonder if the link to the Ontario Traditional Music site might yield results, but hadn't checked it out yet - I'm

transcribing a few tunes from the Buttrey site first, to see what they sound like. The Buttrey site is amazing - many

of the scores in the manuscript are interspersed with wonderful little drawings. The amount of work put into the

original must have been enormous - as is the amount of work put in by the team of heroes who are in the process

of resurrecting this MS. To me, it looks as if this manuscript is really quite 'important' as it seems to have lots of

illustrations, and detailed descriptions of the Battle of mumble-mumble in 1805 by someone who was in the British

Army at the time, and all sortys of other amazing stuff...

Glad you found summat worth looking at...

Roger

Edited by lachenal74693

22 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

As a result of your post I discovered a treasure trove of material from my home province:

http://www.ontariotraditionalmusic.ca

Thanks,

Don.

Don, the curator of this site, Ian Bell, has recently and quickly become a very competent concertina player (he's an incredible multi-instrumentalist), and there are some very tasty concertina recordings there.  His versions of Sir Roger de Coverley, and an Ontario tune called Jim Fisher the Caller are worth learning.

Edited by Bill N
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bill N said:

Don, the curator of this site, Ian Bell, has recently and quickly become a very competent concertina player (he's an incredible multi-instrumentalist), and there are some very tasty concertina recordings there.  His versions of Sir Roger de Coverley, and an Ontario tune called Jim Fisher the Caller are worth learning.

Thanks Bill, I will check out Ian Bell's recordings, I presume this is the same Ian Bell from 'Friends of Fiddlers Green'. 

15 hours ago, Bill N said:

...there are some very tasty concertina recordings there...

and here...

There is a potted bio of Ian Bell (and the rest of t'Buttrey team) on the web site - doesn't mention

'Friends of Fiddlers Green' though..

Edited by lachenal74693

12 minutes ago, Bill N said:

The current line-up of FoFG has Ians Robb & Bell.  Both are also involved in numerous other projects as well. 

Here is a nice bit of EC playing from Ian Robb.  I think that is Ian Bell playing guitar sitting next to him.

• Like 1

And just to complete the picture...............

Alistair Brown, who plays anglo/melodeon and lived in Ontario for 30 or so years, on the left of the picture.

The tune, Waiting for Emily,  composed by Brian Pickell who live here in Paris, Ontario.

Robin