Concertina 'Get togethers' etc. - 2019? - UK

SqueezEast Concertinas Band Day: Sunday 9th June at Stamford Arts Centre. I shall be posting more information early in the New Year, although the format will probably remain the same as previous years.

West Country Concertina Players also post their Play Days on their website and Facebook

Swaledale caters for all levels including absolute beginner and all systems There were about 50 people there last year. It's held at Grinton Lodge Youth Hostel but you can go as non-residential as well. We usually get a cottage in Reeth for the weekend - my wife plays fiddle so comes along for some of the events. We usually stay until Monday so we don't need to pack up and leave stuff in the car on the Sunday. It attracts people from all over.the UK and beyond.

4 minutes ago, Pianist said:

Swaledale caters for all levels including absolute beginner and all systems There were about 50 people there last year. It's held at Grinton Lodge Youth Hostel but you can go as non-residential as well. We usually get a cottage in Reeth for the weekend - my wife plays fiddle so comes along for some of the events. We usually stay until Monday so we don't need to pack up and leave stuff in the car on the Sunday. It attracts people from all over.the UK and beyond.

Sounds like an enjoyable event.   I'll keep an eye out for details.....

Pianist has described the Swaledale Squeeze well from what I remember.   I only attended in once in May 2014, before I moved back to the USA.  I was still mostly a beginner at the time (perhaps I I really still am.)  Many people there were much more accomplished than me, and others just starting out, newer than I was.  I had a great time, and I would absolutely go again if I was still in the UK. 

A few details I might add is that there was a dance on Saturday night, held in the community hall in town, a bit down the hill, and also a concert on Sunday at the end for willing groups of participants, in that same venue.  There were workshops of various levels and styles, and opportunities to share tunes well into the evening, although I went to bed comparatively early (sometime before midnight.)  I did stay at the youth hostel; accommodations were shared rooms with bunk beds, but I didn't think it overly crowded.  Meals were good, although not fancy.

My wife and I were two of the people from "beyond" the UK at Swaledale this year. We enjoyed it, and were amused at the differences between a US concertina gathering and one in the UK (topic for another thread, suffice it to say Yanks are not so reserved at music weekends!). It did feel as though we were straining the capacity of the small dining room at Grinton Lodge but they managed pretty well. We missed most of Sunday as we had to get to reserved digs far away that evening. The Saturday dance was a high point for us.

Ken

West Country concertina Players have weekend events in March and October.

They also run workshops at Sidmouth folk festival in August.

There will be the Witney supersqueeze in November - check Dave Townsend's website.

https://www.davetownsendmusic.com

If you are interested in concertina bands, there is Hawkwood in January and Banding Together in June.

Sorry I do not know a link.

Other folk festivals may have events featuring concertinas.

www.ukfolkfestivals.co.uk

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:44 PM, John Wild said:

West Country concertina Players have weekend events in March and October.

They also run workshops at Sidmouth folk festival in August.

There will be the Witney supersqueeze in November - check Dave Townsend's website.

https://www.davetownsendmusic.com

If you are interested in concertina bands, there is Hawkwood in January and Banding Together in June.

Sorry I do not know a link.

Other folk festivals may have events featuring concertinas.

www.ukfolkfestivals.co.uk

Many thanks for the info John...