Seeking advice on buying the next EC

McDouglas

Good evening friends, 

I've been playing the English concertina for a year now, had a great experience thanks to Paul Hardy in the UK this fall and really have made progress on the EC.  I bought a preowned Jackie from Concertina Connections last Christmas.  So I have my eye on and my ear open to a 48 key Wheatstone or Lachenal, an intermediate step up.  Perhaps I might consider the Concertina Connection Busker EC.

But here's the thing.  I live in Dallas, Texas.  Greg Jowaisas has been very kind to send me sound files of some instruments he has for sale that are in my price range.   

But while I might be able to choose what I prefer from the sound of one instrument over another, I also have learned that playing the instrument is critical.  Paul Hardy was very kind to let me come play the instruments in his collection - and while I didn't have a lot of time to spend playing, what I realized is how unique the feel of the instrument is, the weight, the spacing between the buttons.

So I guess my question is how in the world do I purchase that next instrument living here in Dallas, Texas - a long way from any concertina provider.

Your thoughts or advice?

By all accounts  you can rely on advice from  Greg Jowaisas  and what better person to buy  a refurbished  classic  from  if you live in the States,  but let me  suggest  that  you may as well buy  the best  you can afford  whilst upgrading.  My advice is to go for a  good grade of Wheatstone  or Lachenal  from the  1900 - 1930  period .  Some of the metal ended  versions  are in better condition but can be  piercingly loud, the wooden  ended  types  are  usually less expensive.  A Lachenal 'New Model'  with wooden  ends  or the equivalent  Wheatstone  would be my choice.

Good luck  with  your   search.

Geoff.

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Thanks for the recommendation Geoff.  I always encourage prospective buyers to make an appointment and try out a number of instruments before making a decision whenever possible.

In this case Southwest Airlines flies into Cincinnati/northern KY and the airport is 15 minutes from my house.  More than willing to pick anyone up.

Cincinnati and the northern Kentucky area BTW is a lovely place to visit.  Medium size American city with some fine restaurants, museums, vibrant downtown and micro brewery scene.

Y'all come!

Greg

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Don Taylor said:

Having dealt with Greg long-distance if I were within easy reach of him then I would jump at the chance of a visit. 

He might even take you fishing if the weather allowed.

Concertinas guaranteed; fishing results may vary!

image1.jpeg

Didn't mean to distract from Doug's thread.  Visiting and playing and comparing actual candidate instruments is best.  (Cost and logistics of air travel sometimes eliminate this option) 

Next choice might be playing the same model(s) which might give some general ideas of size, feel, tone and response.

Any reputable seller will give a perusal period and right of return for trying out an instrument purchased through the mail.  The one way shipping costs,  $40-$75 depending on the insurance and shipper, are usually non-refundable.

As per Geoff's advice I've already tried to give him some options/suggestions of better concertinas a bit over his budget without making a hard "upsell".

I wonder if there are any cnetters in the Dallas area that might let Doug try their instruments.

There is usually a Palestine, TX festival gathering (March) which includes a concertina offshoot which might provide the best regional choice of getting together with a number of players and offer a chance to try different concertinas.

Finding North american opportunities to try out and compare a number of concertinas can be challenging.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

Greg,  

Glad to have you chime in.  

I'm trying to figure out how I can combine a business trip with a visit to your place after the first of the year.

I was hoping to make it to the Palestine Old Fashioned Music festival this year but I fear I already have a work conflict.  (Work gets in the way of life!)

You are right that finding a place/source to compare concertinas in North America is challenging.  However, I'm really glad I've connected with you.  Let's stay in touch.