Repair/Check up/tuning new Stagi A18

I am looking for someone near Ghent, Belgium (or the Netherlands) who can check up and adjust my new Stagi A18. It comes straight from the builder Brunner in Italy. At least one of the buttons does not come back after pushing. Thank you for your suggestions.

A Stagi button staying down is usually caused by an internal action rubber sleeve having deteriorated with age.  It is a common problem with most Stagi type actions (which includes a lot of Chinese boxes) that has been discussd here before.  The easy fix involves replacing the rubber sleeve with something else, a bit of tubing or even a bit of a plastic straw has been used.  The hardest part is getting all of the buttons to go back through their holes when you try to put the end back on. 

I know that your concertina is new from Brunner and that these sleeves should be good for a few years, but I wonder how new your concertina really is.  Maybe it has been on a warehouse shelf for a few years.

Anyway, if you are at all mechanically inclined then you could look back in these forums and decide if this is something you can attempt to fix yourself.  (I will try to add some links later today).

Good luck,

Don.

https://www.concertina.net/gs_stagirepair.html

Edited by Don Taylor

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies and advice. I was so lucky to find an accordian technician in the neighbourhood of Ghent. It turned out to be a spring that was not well fixed. With the luxury of an expert close to my home I do not know if I will become good at mechanics.... but the links are indeed very interesting and clarifying. 

• 1 month later...

Not a bad idea to apply a tiny amount of lithium grease with a toothpick  to the axle area where the guide rubs the arm since aluminum against aluminum wear surfaces do not fare well even with light use unlubricated.

• 1 month later...