What's on your Christmas list?

Hey, All!

Just curious, what concertina-related items are on your Christmas list this year?

I'll go first. My gift came early in the form of a Moleskine music manuscript notebook. Now I can write down all the tunes I know, so I won't forget that I know them!

Cheers,

Christine

• 2 weeks later...

I got a present for Hanukkah which I'm throwing in here because it's concertina-related: a copy of Anglo Concertina in the Harmonic Style by Gary Coover, who some of you may have heard of. 

• Like 1

Season’s Greetings to all. 

I have gotten several early Concertina related presents. My oldest son sent me Bertram Levy’s The Anglo Concertina Demystified .

Then my husband got me a humidifier and a six month subscription to Caitlín Nic Gabhann Irish Concertina Lessons.

Pretty happy

• Like 1

I bought myself two gifts on eBay: the Anglo and EC International CDs and both volumes of Dan Worrall's books on the social history of the Anglo concertina.

However, the way I 'won' these on eBay is, I think, rather telling and a bit sad.  In each case I was the only bidder and I won with the minimum bid for each item - and that bid was pretty low. 

Edited by Don Taylor
speeling corecshuns
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

They have possibly been so today - but I'll have to wait until the end of my working day and then choir practice to ascertain that it's in fact mercy and not malevolence... ?

turned out well - some minor work but awesome reeds, with an even tighter fit than with my Wheatstones I reckon (at least TAM grade), and the tuning as accurate as the seller‘s claim had been...

sweet sounds, including a Jimmy-Shand-ish (Scottish) Musette if you will... (but not a concertina, admittedly)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wolf Molkentin said:

sweet sounds, including a Jimmy-Shand-ish (Scottish) Musette if you will...

Gee, Wolf, you remember Jimmy Shand? He was the one I learned all my Scottish country dance tunes from, on BBC Scotland radio back in the 1950s!

Cheers,

John

21 hours ago, Don Taylor said:

I bought myself two gifts on eBay: the Anglo and EC International CDs

Excellent purchases.  Of course, if 'Duet International' ever comes out that'll be the last Christmas I'll ever need.  (It's been a long time coming).

6 hours ago, Anglo-Irishman said:

Gee, Wolf, you remember Jimmy Shand? He was the one I learned all my Scottish country dance tunes from, on BBC Scotland radio back in the 1950s!

Not concertina at all, but since you guys are talking about Jimmy Shand, this is one of my favourite Richard Thompson songs complete with lots of JS type musette playing:

• Like 1

I encountered Jimmy Shand on the dark side (most likely on MelNet) some years ago, and love to listen to his recordings (of course not from the original 78s like RT) - and I'm a big fan of Richard Thompson as well, the Rumor and Sigh album being one of my favourites...

Best wishes - ?